We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

miami
10 posts
Save Topic
First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

This will be our first time skiing! First vacation since our new baby was born and I'm looking for a romantic getaway. I'm undecicive on where to stay . Breck sounds perfect but I want a nice room kind of like a Great Lodge feel and I'm not finding any high rated lodgings in the area. Beaver Creek is my other option they have the Ritz and other nice lodgings but i'm not sure if it will be lively enough. Help! I need suggestions.....By the way does anyone know how to change your name on this site? I'm not a pregnant visitor anymore.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

How about Vail. The community is great, there's plenty to do and I think they have nice beginner trails. You can look at the Sonnenalp Resort on your search box . I haven't stayed there but it gets very nice reviews.

Have a great time.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

I would suggest Vail as well. The town is big with plenty of shopping, restaurants, activities ect. And there are quite a few very nice resorts there. The ski resort is huge too,so you'll find plenty of beginner terain.Have fun!!

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

I love the town of Breckenridge. It has a great feel. As far as lodging, we've only stayed right down in the village, but it was a good spot. As far as skiing, I am not much of a skier. But we were in Breck last Feb. for one of my son's races. I usually walk up to the bottom of the course, and the whole weekend I was thinking, "I could do this....". It seemed like a great place for a first time skier. If I had bothered to take my skis I would have actually given it a go - which says a lot for me!

I learned how to ski at Vail, but that's been ages ago. My son went up last year for the first time with his team, and I'll have to say, as of right now, it's his favorite place to ski. But they were also on stuff that even my husband said, no way, I'll meet you at the bottom....

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

From a Vail local so I guess I am partial> I would suggest Beaver Creek and stay at The Pines Lodge> get one of thier rooms with a fireplace> Talk about romantic. Beaver Creek has a phenominal ski school> Let me know when your trip is planned, I can send activities during that time or you can check out www.snow.com

Vail is only 10 minutes away for loads of activities, yet Beaver Creek will be less crowded, beautiful & more romantic. The mountain has an entire area on the top dedicated to beginner skiers> how cool! But what is really sweet is that if you get freaked you can ride the chairlift DOWN to the bottom....my kids liked that when they were learning!

BTW: The Ritz is in Bachelor Gulch Village... it is beautiful in the Gulch but nothing to do. Beaver Creek has shopping, restaurants, the Vilar Center for the Performing arts, art galleries galore and an ice skating rink. Let me know if you need additional info!! Good luck with your plans> wherever you end up!!

miami
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

Thank you all for your advise, I'm going crazy on the net looking up all the different types of accomodations. I live in Florida and have stayed at The Wilderness lodge at Walt Disney World resort which is themed from the great lodges in the mountains. I guess I'm looking for that type of atmosphere. A big determination is also a nice restaurant- something different for Valentines. You guys must think I'm crazy but it's so hard to decide when you've never even seen snow or mountains.

Alma, Colorado
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

Breckenridge is not really known for its high end lodging (I live here). It is more geared toward a younger crowd, but there are a couple of nice places. The Great Divide Lodge is very nice, but a bit generic. The Mountain Thunder Lodge is a brand new condominium development that does have more of a mountain feel, and so it Main Street Station.

The Keystone Lodge over at Keystone Resort is a bit more upscale (probably as high-end as it goes in Summit County), but it is still not going to catch your attention as a spectacular place.

In Vail, believe it or not, the Vail Marriott is GORGEOUS--and they have rooms with gas fireplaces right there. I also really like the Lodge at Vail.

My favorite Colorado resort area, though, is the Aspen/Snowmass area. You can fly right into the resort (the airport is 4 miles from downtown Aspen and 8 miles from Snowmass) on United, America West, Northwest, or Delta, and the area offers it all. They have great skiing on 4 mountains (Buttermilk is HEAVEN for beginner skiers) that are all linked by a good shuttle bus system, world class nightlife, and a lot of other non-ski related activities. Plus, it is just a beautiful area!

In Aspen, for that lodge feel, I really like the Hotel Lenado (www.hotellenado.com). It is a very small B&B (only has 19 rooms), and the rooms are TINY, but it has an open lobby with a HUGE fireplace, and a hot tub that looks right up the ski mountain. Their rooms are furnished with either Adirondack Ironwood or carved Aspen furniture, and some of their larger rooms have wood stoves right in the room. The concierge can arrange reservations for you (make your reservations for Valentine's Day NOW--the best restaurants fill up quickly!). If you would like more of a Victorian feel, the Hotel Jerome in Aspen is also beautiful.

Telluride is another place where the scenery is spectacular, but it has been quite a while since I have been down there. I believe the Wyndham Peaks resort in the Mountain Village would offer the lodge feel you seek, but I have never skied down there, so I can't tell you what the skiing is like for beginners.

Anyhow, hope that helps!

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

Great advice from vailrealtor. If you want to stay in the “thick of it” if there is such a thing in Beaver Creek you might give the Hyatt Beaver Creek a try. Fabulous place and right on the mountain and in the center of the “village” at Beaver Creek. While the Ritz at Bachelor Gulch is clearly a fantastic place to stay…what a choice: Hyatt or Ritz! (it will be extremely $$$$)

beavercreek.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

www.ritzcarlton.com/resorts/bachelor_gulch/

Enjoy!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

A wonderful restaurant experience is at BEANO'S CABIN in Beaver Creek. I went a few years ago in Oct. for a friend's rehearsal dinner and it was just a very memorable dining experience. We were transported there by van, but in the winter time I think you get transported there by sleigh-ride.

I think the Vail Valley Beaver Creek area is a wonderful getaway.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

For more info on Beano's or other restaurants in Beaver Creek, you can go to www.beavercreek.snow.com and click on on-mountain dining.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time skiing! Help! Valentines week!

I'll put in a plug for Aspen, just to confuse you. Aspen has always struck me as a much more authentic old mountain town (which it once was), though there is definitely an overlay of sophistication to it. Breck, and to a lesser extent Vail and Beaver, are new places made to look old. So for atmosphere, my favorite is Aspen hands down. And in any one of those places you'll find some excellent places to stay, and to eat.

As for skiing at the beginner level, my vote would be Snowmass, which is just outside of Aspen. People have learned to ski there for years. Number two would be Breckenridge; they have a huge variety of trails.

Regardless of which area you choose, you can't go wrong.