We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation to Colorado

Springfield, Mo
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Family vacation to Colorado

My family (three generations) is planning a trip to Colorado in August 2007. We will probably have about a dozen people in our group and will include ages 4-60s. We will be coming from the Mid-west, so would probably like to go somewhere on the east part of the state. Any recommendations on an area that has nice hikes and fun things for kids? I would like to be in or near the mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation to Colorado

I suggest the Pikes Peak area - west of Colorado Springs, such as near Manitou Springs . The area offers a lot to do and it is easy to get to for your family. There are a number of possibilities for lodging including a working ranch (Triple B Ranch), a lodge (Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins), camping and RV spots, and all kinds of hotels

Mentioned in this post
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,515 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation to Colorado

I would suggest Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. The scenery is wonderful and the weather would be a little cooler. There are some nice hiking trails that would accommodate the oldest to the youngest in the group. Estes also offers a variety of activities including, shopping or just sitting and people watching, horseback riding and rafting. You could also visit some nearby areas without it taking all day to get there and back.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
400 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation to Colorado

Both of the above suggestions wold be a good choice. You don't say how long your trip would be. That would make a difference to me. Perhaps you could split time between the two locations?

Estes Park is great for wildlife watching and Rocky Mountain National Park is a beautiful place to visit. There is also an abundance of rental homes you could get for your group.

The Pikes Peak area has much to offer as well. You can drive to the top of Pikes Peak or take the cog railway up, an experience not to be missed.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,515 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
4. Re: Family vacation to Colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 05:24