We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors

California
3 posts
Save Topic
Fall Colors

We are planning a trip to Colorado the week of October 15 and would like to take in some of the fall colors, are we too late? We have no idea where the best chances are for the viewing fall colors?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam Helicopter...
588 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Lake Mead Luxury...
371 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Flight, Colorado...
126 Reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Discover Rocky Mountain National Park...
80 Reviews
from US$129.00*
Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Colors

Mid October may not be peak, but you should still be able to see some color. Check out the website from the Forest Service fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/fallcolors/report/

They have not yet started to update it for this year, but should start very soon. You can look back at last years reports to see what areas had the best viewing to make tenative plans.

There are too many spots with fabulous color to name, but a couple of my favorite are the Grand Mesa, Redstone and Marble as well as the Frisco/Breckenridge area and around Twin Lakes. Do you have a specific route/destination in mind. Maybe we could narrow it down some for you.

Mentioned in this post
Redstone
Redstone
Colorado
Marble
Marble
Colorado
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Twin Lakes
Twin Lakes
Colorado
California
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Colors

Are you suggesting that by Oct 14, all of the fall colors will be gone? We are thinking of coming to Colorado Oct 8 for a few days. Will we be able to see the colors?

Thanks!

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Colors

As mtnlife said, check that website to see what is going on. It all depends on the weather we get. As the website says, heavy snow, heavy winds, etc. can end it. We always go camping in Rocky Mountain National Park the last weekend of September. Leaves are changing by then but it also depends on the altitude you are at. The higher you go, the sooner they change. Mid October is really on the edge in my opinion. Eary October should be ok. If my memory serves me correctly, down here we are changing early October. That sticks in my mind because when we were house hunting years ago in late September, early October, I couldn't believe how beautiful Boulder was with everything changing. I noticed a neighbors tree behind us already starting to turn red yesterday though. So it's hard to say! Every year seems different because of the summer we had and how dry/wet it was.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Colors

Thanks Skiracermom!

One more question for you. We have two potential dates to visit Colorado: September 22-26 or October 6-10. Not knowing what type of weather Colorado is going to have, when would you suggest we come? We are leaning towards the 22-26 of Sept. None of the websites we have found are predicting peak week for this year. Seems strang.

Thanks for your help!

California
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Colors

As far as any plan routes we have not established any as of yet. This will be our first trip to Colorado and have no idea where the best chances are to see the fall colors in mid October. The date available for our visit will be the 15th through the 21st. Any help would be appreciated.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Colors

travelingcouple:

I would choose the September option. But that's just me. I think you'll have a better chance of seeing colors, but it all depends on where you are wanting to go as well. I love the National Park that time of year because you are getting the extra bonus of the elk in rut. Although they will still be in rut in October. The weather can start getting dicier then though.

wjrs - I'm not sure of any suggestion for that late to guarantee you'll see fall color. Hopefully some others can chime in on more specific places, but like I mentioned earlier, it will all depend on the weather over the next few weeks. I went back and looked at our pictures from camping last year in the National Park October 1 and the leaves were changed in our pictures.

Wish we had guarantees, but with those kinds of things, it seems different each year!

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Colors

You will definitely find colors in mid October, but it may be at lower altitudes. As others have said, you just never know. We had snow at 10,000 feet this weekend. I would check out Grand Mesa, it is just out side of Grand Junction so it would be on the westerside of the state. The website is really going to be key in planning as they should let us know week by week what is going on. The Flat Tops had a fairly wet summer, so there may be lots of color up there. I will try to follow up to with what I see in this area. I seem to remeber the Marble area holding on to the leaves fairly late in the season last year and it certainly would be great area to visit. I will keep you posted

Mentioned in this post
Marble
Marble
Colorado
Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Colors

You might use this, once you get here, to look for yourself for Colorful Colorado viewing opportunities:

www.cotrip.org/atis/web.ZoomboxMarshal…

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Colors

This is a link to some photos taken on Grand Mesa of the fall colors. Thought you might like a preview.

outdoors.webshots.com/album/51203456xSmfJh

10. Re: Fall Colors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 16:19