We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

Alabama
Level Contributor
36 posts
Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

We're trying to plana ski vacation and want to get some input. We've skied Brek, Vail, Keystone and Beaver in Colorado. Brek seemed to be the best with Beaver second. We did not like Keystone b/c the town has very little life to it compared to Brek and Beaver. We're also considering Utah, Montana and Idaho (never skied at any of them).

Here's the question... Are we missing out if simply go back to Brek or Beaver? Is there a better place in Utah, Montana or Idaho?

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

I don't think you are necessarily missing out by going to Breck, but I also encourage you to check out other areas. We each have different spots that we love and each of us has our own reasons for favoring that spot.

Do you have something that you are looking for besides good skiing and some evening activities? How pricing, moderate or high end? Park Cities, Utah is great. Plenty of bars, restaurants and shopping. You could ski Deer Valley or Park Cities Mt. Resort. I loved it when I went a number of years ago and since they held the Olympics there, I'm sure there have been even more improvements. Never tried ID or MT.

If you wanted to stay in Colorado, there are a number of great places you could try. Winter Park, Telluride, and Aspen are all noted for their great skiing and each has a town with plenty of evening activity.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

I love Telluride and think it is a great spot. Montana can be EXTREMELY cold in Jan and Feb. Much colder than Colorado.

Never tried Idaho.

Alabama
Level Contributor
36 posts
3. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

I didn't even think about Montana being colder. Thanks for the heads-up.

Our price range is Moderate.

We're looking for mainly the skiing, dining and fun nightlife. Nothing too "college spring breakish".

We also want to try and keep the airport trip around an hour or less in travel time.

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

Park City would be a good place to check out if you've never skied there. Hard to compare to Colorado, I'd say different but overall equal experiences. While Utah is gaining, I'm still amazed that Colorado seems to have nearly 3x the skier visits of Utah (suspect Front range skiers have much to do with that, and if you ski Vail or Breck on a weekend, you'll see why). Think Colorado has the mystique/marketing of "skiing in the mountains" but really the snow conditions, vertical, runs, resorts, etc are pretty similar.

If you stay in/around Park city, it's somewhat like Breckenridge, you have the town and the ski resort there, but several other places nearby (Deer Valley, The Canyons being closest). It's been several years since I skied out there, but I have fond memories of all the places I skied (PC, Then Canyons, which was my favorite, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton).

It's also a short drive form the SLC airport to Park City, mostly on I80 I think.

Lethbridge, Alberta
Level Contributor
30 posts
124 reviews
5. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

..you won't be disappointed if you try out Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana.. has lost some of it's "downhome" feel over the years, but a great hill, great little town with some happening bars at night.. Schweitzer's Basin in Sandpoint is also a great hill.. if money isn't a major obstacle, Whistler/Blackcomb will blow your mind.. it tends to be warmer as it's close to the Pacific and has a great village nightlife and is the largest ski hill in North America..

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

Have you thought of South Lake Tahoe? The skiing there can be tremendous. Heavenly, Kirkwood, North Star, Squaw can all be amazing places to ski, and South Lake Tahoe at night! We’ve had a great time out there. Also for the skiing, Utah is a Great place to ski. Although we’ve not been there since the Olympics, we hear it is much improved. Utah however is not known for the party atmosphere, just the skiing. The after skiing party crowd in Colorado seems to head to Breck or Vail.

Alabama
Level Contributor
36 posts
7. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

Thank you for all your help. We've decided to return to Breck. We tried to get a group together to try a new place, but there were so many scheduling conflicts that we decided to go with what we know and have it be just the 2 of us.

Any fun new things in Breck for February 19th-25th? Any local hotspots with maybe a guy and a guitar? Tips are welcome.

SINY
Level Contributor
12 posts
243 reviews
8. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

Yes you are missin out...try Jackson hole (i'm renting my timeshare there this season-ask me!) colorado is over rated! if its you & spouse, jackson hole,WYO, taos,NM & lake louise,ALB are tops, lake tahoe close behind & sun valley,ID....whistler if weather co-operates, sleeper choice is mt batchelor,OR but lodging may be too far from mountain....big sky,MT too quiet! Utah has strange rules for nightlife.

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,246 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

DUH - the date of the original post was over a YEAR ago. If you just signed up to slam Colorado you can just troll on over to someplace else. Nobody wants your timeshare.

10. Re: Best place to ski in Late January/ February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 00:19