We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loveland CO to Moab Utah

Illinois
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Loveland CO to Moab Utah

I am tentatively planning on arriving in Loveland during the month of June 2007. I would like to explore the area from Loveland to Moab Utah for about one week. I would be interested in an itinerary that included mostly smaller size towns. Interests include rafting, horseback riding, and sightseeing. Thanks, David.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loveland CO to Moab Utah

That sounds fun!

I think I'd spend a couple of days in RMNP, then spend a night in Summit County (you can rent kayaks on Lake Dillon). You can raft near Glenwood Springs as well as out of Moab. Leave yourself at least 3 days for Arches and Canyonlands. I think you can find lots of places for horseback riding along the way.

The week will fly by.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loveland CO to Moab Utah

Everyone loves Ouray. Check it out on T/A. After living in Denver and Ft. Collins for seven years I discovered the stunning scenery of less populated Western Slope towns like Ridgway, Ouray, and Montrose (home of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park). Telluride is gorgeous and, if you're into music festivals, has a phenomenal bluegrass festival in June.

Happy travels-

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loveland CO to Moab Utah

I agree that Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park is a must. Stopping to spend the night in Summit County is a good choice as well. Since you are driving I would also suggest that you make a stop in Vail and stroll around Vail Village. It is a different setting and those who have visited me have enjoyed it. Next would be Glenwood Springs. Rafting, biking, hiking. Lots of options. From here you have several choices. You could head south on 82 and make a right on 133. You will go thru Carbondale, past Redstone and Marble. If time allows you could take a stroll thru Redstone. From there you could head to Quray. I agree with the previous post about this area. The scenery is beyond description. From Glenwood this is a 3 hour drive and worth every minute of it. Take in Telluride as well if you have the time. As for the Blue Grass Festival, get your tickets early. These go quickly and rooms are at a premium during this time.

Illinois
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Loveland CO to Moab Utah

Thanks for the info. I lived @ Bullfrog Basin on Lake Powell the summer of '78. That fall a friend & I took back roads from Utah to Phoenix. I remember stopping at Ouray and Telluride. It was very laid back @ the time. I am sure that has changed. Looks like I could easily spend the week in Colorado & save Utah for another trip. Appreciate the feedback, thanks again.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loveland CO to Moab Utah

Ouray and Telluride are surprisingly relatively unchanged over the years. I think its remote location and tiny airport make it quieter. The closest interstate runs through Grand Junction, and that's over an hour away from Ouray, two from Telluride. I was just there not too long ago and it's still lovely. Montrose has grown quite a bit, but that has only made it a better place. It needed a little updating.

6. Re: Loveland CO to Moab Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 17:21