We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado Must-sees in June

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado Must-sees in June

Hello, I've never been to Colorado but my husband and I are very interested in going June after visiting New Mexico. We loved hiking in Arizona and New Mexico and would like to check out some day hikes in Colorado. Possibly a couple of days camping as well. I'm also interested in seeing Mesa Verde. Any suggestions of some beautiful hikes-nothing too strenuous but not too easy either? Or any must-see camping grounds? I've thought about the Rocky Mountains and Colorado Springs as well.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
642 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado Must-sees in June

Early or late June? The higher elevations are likely quite snowy still in June, although some lower mountain areas should be melting out by later in the month. Do you mind hiking on snow? Or would you prefer looking for hikes at lower elevations that might be drier (and possibly muddy).

If you aren't necessarily looking for *mountain* hikes, a good place to consider would be Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction and Fruita. There are some gorgeous hikes there among beautiful rock formations, and the desert environment means little or no snow by June.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado Must-sees in June

Hmm interesting-I thought June was the warmest month for the Rockies. If it is worth seeing, I guess I don't mind hiking in the snow?

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
932 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado Must-sees in June

You'll be ok hiking at Rocky Mountain National Park and have no issues. We were backcountry camping last year at that time and didn't have too many problems, although there was still snow. We have been snowed on quite heavily when camping up in the North Park area in June. June is definately not the warmest month (well, last year it was pretty bad....), but usually July/August are.

The weather has been a bit wierd lately.

A few years ago we did Durango/Mesa Verde in June and it was pretty chilly. It snowed on us during the Durango/Silverton train ride.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado Must-sees in June

You mean the guy from Man vs. Wild (Discovery channel) lied to me about June? :0

5. Re: Colorado Must-sees in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 16:18