We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

Hi fellow travellers – your advice urgently needed please!

We are planning a trip to New England in October, hoping to catch the leaves at the right colour and still on the trees! We have got the books (Lonely Planet, Photographers Guide, Backroads, etc), but what can’t be beat is local knowledge.

We would be most grateful if fellow tripadvisors can let us have suggestions for the prettiest, most breathtaking, ‘Kodak-moment’ places.

They would need to be relatively easy to get to, as one of us isn’t so steady on their feet – although a short gentle walks are OK thanks to the trekking poles!

I’ll be posting this on other New England forums too, so apologies if you’ve read this before!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
181 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

I'm a little biased, since I grew up near the river, but I think the CT River is a beautiful place to photograph, especially in the fall. You can go to Essex, CT and walk down to the river via local marinas and parks. The water always looks so beautiful with the fall leaves in the background.

Also, I can't say enough about Vermont. If you head up that way, note that peak leaf season will be a week or two earlier than CT. Lake Champlain is beautiful in fall. You can also stop by Middlebury College's mountain campus, Breadloaf (in Ripton, VT) for excellent and fairly accessable views of the mountains. There are also various waterfalls and creeks in the area that would be beautiful. I can give you more info on them if you'd like.

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
275 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

I'd suggest the Mt. Washington area of New Hampshire. Its amazing in the fall. The Kangamangus Highway on the way up is a famous area that time of year as well. I usually head up there for labor day weekend myself. I've got some great photos.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

How about the Litchfield, Connecticut town green during the fall? You have lovely victorian age houses, a quaint stone court house, and some nice white washed churches.

Bristol, Rhode...
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

Newport,RI has some great spots for pictures. Also so does Jamestown,RI as well..

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

Lyman orchards in Middlefield CT. Its beautiful!!! you can pick some apples too! You can drive along the roads and just stop on the road and take pictures of beautiful views.

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

Hi everyone - thank you all so much for your advice. Suggestions on the other boards made us think about needing to arrive a bit earlier, so we are hoping to bring our vacation forward a week, so we don't miss anything! All we have to do now is find a comfortable place to stay...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

If you are in Mystic CT be sure to take photos of the drawbridge. It is facinating to see the sailboats glid past the bridge. It opens regularily at 40 minutes past the hour. See some photos I took:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33845-d63…

This bridge is offically called Mystic River Bascule Bridge.

Are you into nature photography only? Or other things?

8. Re: Help needed! Photography nuts plan trip to New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 23:19