We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Connecticut

in transit
10 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Connecticut

Looks like I'll be heading there later this year. My company is in Stamford near the train station and I am starting to look for an apartment/a house near/around Stamford. Don't know much about CT other than downtown Stamford. Can someone give me some suggestions of neighborhoods in Stamford or cities near Stamford I should look into?

- 30 minute commute time max

- I won't have a car at the beginning so ideally it is easily accessible by buses/trains/bikes.

- not too family-oriented neigborhood. Do not care about school district.

Thanks

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Prices for housing in Stamford can be high - I used to live in the Cove area of town - loved it - a little less expensive, and near to the beach. Another area that is less expensive in Stamford would be to look near Glenbrook.

You might want to check in Norwalk - there are some cute areas in South Norwalk (Sono) that have a lot of singles and nightlife.

Places on the trainline with a 30 min max commute would be Norwalk, Westport, Fairfield - Westport would be a little more family oriented - Fairfield could be or not, depending on where you live - There are some neat areas. If you want to go a little further, I would also look in the Black Rock area of Bridgeport - just over the line from Fairfield, and they are trying to pass building a new train station there - But it's a short distance to the Fairfield Station, and Black Rock has lots of cute little restaurants and bars, near the water.

I currently live in Fairfield, used to live in Stamford, and work in Stamford now = if you find some areas and want to send me a message, I will be more than happy to tell you what I know about them.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Connecticut

You may find it a toll to live in CT without a car. We just don't have the public transportation systems that major metro areas do.

You should know that the Southbound traffic into Stamford in the mornings is awful (and Northbound awful at night) so if you are eventually planning to drive, you probably don't want to get too far North.

If you're going to take metro north, then it's not as much of a concern.

If you're not planning on having a car, you probably want to live in downtown Stamford; you'll still find it a chore to get to a grocery store, but you'll at least have restaurants, bars, movie theaters, the mall, etc within walking distance.

Shippan and the Cove are neighborhoods in Stamford near the beach and very pretty, but not walking distance to the train or downtown.

South Norwalk (SoNo) is a lively, young area with lots of restaurants and bars; the area immediately around the train station in SoNo isn't the safest, but the area is very up and coming.

Westport and Fairfield are also nice; cute downtown areas with shopping, restaurants, etc, but they are definitely more "suburbia" than Stamford. I wouldn't recommend either without a car.

Good luck - let me know if you have any questions!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Connecticut

I, too, think that you should check downtown Stamford since it's close to the train station, restaurants, mall, movie theaters etc. You'll be able to manage without a car, for a while.

I don't know much about how frequent the buses are but I know that there are buses that service the downtown area.

Check the "Stamford Advocate" apartment/house listings to see if the rental prices are within your budget range.

in transit
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Wil check out Stamford advocate on apartments.

I do have another question -

How does it usually work when it comes to using a real estate agency for apartments? Do I pay a fixed fee or a % of annual rental payment?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Connecticut

You actually should be able to find an apartment without using a realtor.

I would check out craigslist.org (click on Connecticut, then click Fairfield county, then apartments/housing; put in your price criteria and “Stamford” in the search box) – there are more apartments listed on Craigslist than in the Advocate, and most of them are by owner; no fee. Owner listed apartments also tend to be a little less expensive.

If you do want to see what’s available via realtors, you can go to Realtor.com and click on advanced search and click rentals.

For the most part, I believe the landlord pays the realtor fees, but there are some exceptions to this, where the realtors want a fee from the renter. In general, I’d avoid these companies. You should be able to find an apartment without a fee.

You can also check out the Avalon apartments – they have several complexes in Stamford. They’re a little pricier but tend to be newer with a lot of amenities.

Good luck!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Connecticut

You can also check the Hoyt-Bedford Apartments located within walking distance to the downtown restaurants, mall, theaters etc. It's about a 20-25 min walk to the train station. They have their own rental office (Ceebraid-Signal)- I think you have to pay one or two months rent as a deposit and when you leave it'll be refunded.

Also check The Archstone, Stamford and the Carlton Plaza Apts.both centrally located. (The Archstone and Avalon Apts are newer)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Connecticut

If you have an apt complex in mind, you can go to www.apartmentratings.com and check it out. You can read up about the good and the bad.

Even if you don't have an apt complex in mind, check this website. (Click on Connecticut and then Stamford)There's a lot of info on the various Stamford apts.

8. Re: Moving to Connecticut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:19