We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

boe
central NJ
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

Can anyone suggest an accommodation between Rhinebeck/Poughkeepsie area, NY and New Britain, Ct for a Sat. night in October? My husband and I will be attending the NYS Sheep & Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, catching a concert in Poughkeepsie and then plan to meet our son in New Britain for Sunday dinner. Thanks for any help!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

If you are planning on driving a pretty much straight line from Rhinebeck to New Britain, you will find yourself going through Litchfield County in North Western Connecticut. A lovely area of mostly rural classic New England. The town of Litchfield is especially historically lovely and preserved. Also, Cornwall, West Cornwall, Cornwall Bridge, Kent, Washington Depot areas are lovely.

I would suggest you Google "Litchfield County CT inns" and see what you find. Because it will be the height of the leaf watching season, you'd better book ASAP or you won't stand a chance of getting into even a "less than desirable" place.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

The Litchfield Inn is in a beautiful area of CT and not far from New Britain. If you took Rt 44 out of Poughkeepsie and into CT it would be a beautiful drive in the fall. The only problem you might encounter is if they require a two night stay on the weekends during the foliage season.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
888 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

44 may be more scenic but 84 is quicker. Check out http://www.nutmegbb.com/concierge.htm or http://www.longwoodcountryinn.com/

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
159 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

Depending on your route, you may consider staying at the Old Drovers Inn in Dover Plains, NY. The circa 1750 inn consists of 4-6 rooms and a good restaurant (The Tap Room). The last time we were there was several years ago when it was still a Relais & Chateaux property but the inn has since changed hands. This very old and relaxing country inn is located well off the beaten path in Dutchess County, NY. There's also a good Italian restaurant nearby called Il Compare.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

Great time of year to visit but the choice places you'd encouter on a foliage drive through the countryside will be booked by now. Your best bet might be to leave Poughkeeosie by driving south on Route 9 in NY, and then take I84 East toward New Britain. Lots of hotels in Danbury, CT (see TA ratings).

boe
central NJ
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips. Since our intention is to enjoy the views, we wanted to avoid highways like I-84. I took Sasha's advice and googled Litchfield, and found that the Wake Robin Inn in Lakeville had one-night availability so we booked it. The Old Drovers Inn, however, looks lovely as well. Any advice on eateries around the Lakeville/Sharon area? Thanks!

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
159 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

The best restaurant I can recommend in NW Connecticut is the West Street Grill in Litchfield, but it’s probably 20-25 miles from Lakeville. However, my wife and I feel the innovative, cuisine and flavors, fresh ingredients, presentation and atmosphere are worth the 25 mile drive from our home in southern Litchfield County. We dine there a couple of times a year for Sunday brunch or dinner. The restaurant is very, very good. Additionally, the quaint, historic town of Litchfield, CT is a must see, especially in autumn.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

Wake Robin is fun. They do a lot to make it a desirable place to spend a night. HANDS DOWN - the best place to eat is just up the street from there - The Woodland. Make your reservation ASAP. Truly, they fill up well in advance and this will be the case even moreso during leaf peeping season. It's a tad on the expensive side but not over the top like West Street in Litchfield. You'll love the food at the Woodland.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

I second your thoughts about highways like I84, it gets a lot of commercial traffic and the trucks have really given it a pounding.

10. Re: Inn between Rhinebeck, NY and New Britain, Ct.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 10:19