We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cross Country road trip

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cross Country road trip

I'm think of a road trip from CT to Denver in the upcoming weeks. Any suggestions on what to see along the way?

I only want to take about 4 days to get there, so not too far off the beaten path, but don't want interstates all the way either. And I know Iowa and Nebraska can be pretty boring if you don't know anything good to see.

The trip back will be about the same length, but would like to take a different route.

thanks

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cross Country road trip

Many, many years ago I drove cross country all the way to LA from Connecticut. Out first stop was Pittsburg, which has some interesting things to see/do. I remember also stopping in Indianapolis, taking a bus ride on the Indy 500 track. In St. Louis, we went up the Gateway Arch. You could take a boat ride on the Mississippi River. Topeka, KS has some interesting things to check out. What are the ages/interests of the people going?

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cross Country road trip

Thanks for the advice (I'm from Monroe, by the way .... neighbors). We are both 50-something with an adventurous spirit.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cross Country road trip

Sounds like my kind of trip! Wish I had the time to drive cross country (or to Denver!). Even the boring parts are still very different from what we have in Connecticut. A few years ago we drove across South Dakota, and it was very interesting to see it change from cornfields to prairies to the plains to the Black Hills. ENJOY!!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cross Country road trip

Hello there, bfran5: Toms River is such a pretty place!

Did you know that Trip Advisor has a "Road Trips Forum"? Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Happy Trails. Sounds like a great trip.

5. Re: Cross Country road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:16