We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

Newington...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

I'm looking for help with the best route...I've been told the Tapenzee. Can anyone help with directions?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
840 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

It might be best to go to Google maps and type in your destination address. Then click the "get directions" box and put in your home address as the starting address. You'll get printable step by step directions along with a map. You can have it give you turn by turn maps as well.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
942 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

Near rush hour I'd go Tappen Zee, otherwise I'd go I-91 to I-95 to George Washington Bridge.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

Another option, which is a bit longer but bypasses the horrible DC/VA traffic (the worst of the whole trip) - is to take 84 W to Scranton PA, then 81 S through western VA, then down 77S through Charlotte and pick up 95 S from there. Its a very pretty drive, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it in snow.

Alot depends on your timing - weekend, weekday, rush hour, weather conditions.

I've done this CT/FL drive all 3 ways - each have their advantages/disadvantages.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

I would second the Tappan Zee. I used to commute from Boston to Myrtle Beach several times a year.

I used the GWB after 900pm, and before 500am only. No matter what happens, you'll hit it (some traffic) on the Garden State/NJT either way.

Other advice: Listen for the traffic options in Baltimore, deciding on the fly which is best route for going thru Baltimore. Go west around the DC area, not the east loop. Less ttraffic, no drawbridge.Take the bypass around Richmond during the day, but after 900pm, before 600am, go thru Richmond (one bad curve).

Edited: 03 December 2011, 16:59
Connecticut
Level Contributor
10 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

All good replies thus far. Not sure the GWB is the way I would go, but late at night it is OK. On radio AM listen to 600 in CT; 880 in NY/NJ for traffic. tappan Zee going south is easy in the AM. Go 84 to 684 to 287 west over the Tappan zee to the Garden State Parway to Rte 95 at exit 130 off the Garden State. AAA routes you that way. From there stay on 95 all the way and live with it. Avoid the Wahington, DC beltway at rush hour (worst part of the trip). Stay in Florence, SC and you can make it in 2 days.

Derry, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
259 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

"Another option, which is a bit longer but bypasses the horrible DC/VA traffic (the worst of the whole trip) - is to take 84 W to Scranton PA, then 81 S through western VA, then down 77S through Charlotte and pick up 95 S from there. Its a very pretty drive, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it in snow".

Ctmom is spot on, The above route is a great way to avoid the "rat race" and the "full contact driving" that is NY, NJ, etc. on down the line...This way you avoid all the big cities, tunnels. and tolls, Then boom, your in NC and smooth sailing from there. Choose alternate route if SNOW is in the forecast though !!

P.S. I'm originally from CT and made this trip many times...Good Luck...T

Edited: 08 December 2011, 15:10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

I have to drive to PA from the New Havyen area a lot, and while it is much more direct to take 95 to the GW Bridge, I will almost always hit delays during the day, especially if I use the most direct route, the Cross Bronx Expressway.

Try to listen to 1010 WINS on the AM radio. They give NYC area traffic every ten minutes "on the ones" and that always includes a bridge and tunnel report. It has a strong signal and you can get it from CT and online. It is really helpful when it is time to make that fateful choice in Westchester... you can switch there relatively easily between GWB and TZB if you hear that one is a disaster and the other clear.

8. Re: Driving from Newington to Ft. Lauderdale,FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:42
Get answers to your questions about Connecticut
Recent Conversations