We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from Pittsburgh to Harwich, MA,

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from Pittsburgh to Harwich, MA,

This will be first week of August 2012. We are 5 adults and a two year old, which means we will need to stop over. Now I've been told to stay outside of Hartford, CT. I've also been reading that this is not a very safe area. Can anyone help out and give me a hotel recommendation that would be safe and clean. It does not need to be in the Hartford area and can be either on the front side or back side of Hartford.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from Pittsburgh to Harwich, MA,

I wouldn't worry about safety - any of the chain hotels on the highway route will be fine.

You have a long drive with a 2 year old - how many hours do you want o drive in one day?

Before you hit the Hartford area, there are choices of chain hotels on/just off of 91 around Meridan that might fit the bill...Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, etc.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from Pittsburgh to Harwich, MA,

I have driven to Pittsburgh on mny an occasion when my son was a student at Pittsburg University.

I have come by the upper highway...and thru the lower tunnels.

Quite a ride.

Is your trip ending in Hartford ?...therfore your settling near for your hotel ?

If your coming thru 84--you may want to stop in the Newburg , Poughkeepsie areas...and you will still be able to make Hartford in a hour 1/2 or so...as you coninue right up 84...after breakfast.

Otherwise I'd do something around Danbury...Southbury Area--but before Waterbury...with the same idea to finish the journey after breakfast.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from Pittsburgh to Harwich, MA,

So you have maybe an 8 hour drive to Hartford then 3.5 to the Cape. There are some parts of Hartford you wouldn't want to stay in but you're fine at any of the chain hotels. I'd suggest …hilton.com/en_US/…index.do or …hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml… Both are in a nice suburb with several good restaurants around and close to the highway.

4. Re: Coming from Pittsburgh to Harwich, MA,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 10:32