We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

Hello,

My family of four is coming to Connecticut, Massachusetts & Rhode Island in about two weeks - can't wait!

We've rented a house near Plymouth, but will have two days from the the day of arrival to the day the rental starts. I'd really appreciate tips on which route to take. We've once driven the costal route, so it will be inland this time. We'd love to see smaller, towns with nice cafes, restaurants, beautiful houses and maybe some shopping - any tips? We'll stay the first night in New Milford, and second in Wrentham. Our flight is to Newark. Would be great to hear recommendations: scenic routes, towns to see. What we enjoy most is seeing typical small towns, walking around, stopping in nice restaurants for good food... not necessarily that much museums etc.

We have two teenagers, so is there anything someone could recommend for them to see? We probably stop by at the Patriot Place to see what there is. Neither one really likes amusement parks, but they do enjoy American sports of all kinds.

Thank you so much in advance, last time I got valuable help in this forum!

Best Regards,

Henna

Hartford...
Level Contributor
631 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

The premium outlet mall in wrentham is great. If you like to shop, that could take a whole day. Patriot place is nice too.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

I'm confused. If I'm right you fly into Newark, spend your first night in New Milford, Connecticut, second in Wrentham , Mass, and then a week in Plymouth Mass. before departing from Newark. If so I'd say drive through New Preston then walk the center of Litchfield. From there drive through Harwinton and Burlington to West Hartford. There are unique stores and great restaurants there. Your teens might enjoy http://www.rei.com/stores/105. Take a ride to the beautiful rose garden www.elizabethpark.org/rose_garden_image.htm Check out the homes on Balfour or Ledyard. Take I-84 east then I-384 to RT 44. Ride around Pomfret then head to Wrentham. Boston Red Sox tickets may be pricey but maybe you could take the teens to http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t533

Edited: 15 May 2012, 21:04
Simsbury...
Level Contributor
52 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

You might want to consider the "Farmington Valley" which is a collection of small towns (Farmington, Avon, Simsbury, and Canton) approximately 30 minutes west of Hartford, Connecticut. These all have nice cafes, decent restaurants (not too many fancy ones), and some shopping. You may also want to consider Collinsville, which is a tiny "town" within the small town of Canton. Other places to consider in Connecticut are Mystic and the Pequot Museum (http://www.pequotmuseum.org/), which is probably one of the best Native American museums in the country (or the world). Even if you only have a slight interest in Native American history, it is well worth a visit - it is very well done and educational. If you like historical sites in Connecticut, you may also want to consider the Mark Twain house and adjacent museum in Hartford.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 04:17
Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

Wow, great replies right away - thank you! I have a day off tomorrow, I'll start making a route plan following your excellent suggestions - you don't need to be confused, brookerme, you understood perfectly our plans and likes. Great that you Flintstone123 pointed out the museum of Native Americans - definitely a subject that intrests both us adults and teenagers. We've been in Mystic quickly once, definitely worth seeing and spending time in, but this time we want to take the inland route.

Simsbury...
Level Contributor
52 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

Are you all set? What did you decide to do?

Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

Hi, thank you for asking! All the places that were suggested to us seem to be west of Hartford - still wondering where to go east from there. Wondering if New England Air Museum is worth a visit. If so, how much time should we reserve for the visit. Also, we have heard of the "Quiet Corner", should we drive there or not...

So still some minor considerations to be thought, so if anything else comes into your mind Flintstone123 I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help so far.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

Though it may be a bit out of the way Gillette Castle might be worth a visit and it is east of the river. Essex has a steam train in the same area. I don't know if something like Sturbridge Village would interest you but it is right over the border in MA. Mark Twain House in Hartford is interesting and just driving through Hartford and seeing the Capital, the Arch, The Bushnell and the State House is interesting.

Near New Milford I also enjoy Kent and Kent Falls and the covered bridges in the area.

The quiet corner is named that for a reason lots of small towns and farms.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

I really enjoy the Air Museum and feel its definitely worth it. Probably 2-3 hours for the stop. Its not far from Hartford either so combine it with the Mark Twain House. etc. Another option would be the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat Combo. They also offer 1 that includes Gillette Castle.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 13:52
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

Putnam is in one of the quiet corners and east, great antique shops in town.

10. Re: Beautiful scenery and cozy small towns in inner Connecticut?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Connecticut