We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

ny
2 posts
Save Topic
where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

We are planning a day with 3 families at the Brownstone Park on a Saturday in July. We want to stay overnite. Would like a place within about a half hour (preferably heading back towards New York City).

Someplace fun for the kids where we could all gather to play board games before going to our rooms.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

Half a hour from Portland heading towards new York is going to put you in the Cromwell , Middletown --maybe Wallingford area.

Each of these towns have hotels.....but as far as FUN goes--that I'm a little baffled by.

What exactly "fun" in a hotel --are you looking for ?

ny
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

If the hotel had an indoor pool or basketball court outside that is what I would consider a fun hotel for kids. If they had cards and board games at the front desk that would indicate family friendly. If it was located close to town so we could walk to an ice cream shop that would be fun. Those types of things would make a hotel a better choice for us.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
352 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

The Inn at Middletown, CT might be what you are looking for. It has an indoor pool and you could just walk up and down Main Street where it is located. Lots of restaurants and I am sure you could also find ice cream somewhere too.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
901 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

Great fun for the younger set at http://www.berlinbattingcages.com/

I'd try one of the chain hotels a short drive away,

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/meriden/menct/hoteldetail?sicreative=6802130474&sicontent=0&sitrackingid=145110748&cm_mmc=Google-PS-HolidayInnExpress-_-G+B-AMER-[USA]-East-_-[USA]-%28CT%29-Meriden-MENCT-_-holiday+inn+express+meriden&siclientid=1962

Edited: 29 May 2012, 16:43
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

MIddletown has a great downtown--you can walk around with your kids.

There is a arcade like place around the 300 -400 block . I was there recently and I man was opening a Yogurt Shop shortly.This same place has a great deli like business where you and the kids can sit and have lunch and they also have a few flavors of Ice Cream ...also a bakery in this location.

Downtown has a movie theatre and a wide choice of restaurants Thai , American , Chinese , Vegetarian...........................

Lots of choices in downtown Middletown.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

Residence inn Meriden.

7. Re: where to stay after going to Brownstone Park in Portland CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:17