We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Trip

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
712 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
New England Trip

I am really looking forward to my first trip to Vermont in early September. Nights 1 & 11 are the CT portion.

I enjoy beautiful scenery,art galleries, quaint towns. I know this itinerary is quicker than most people would like, but I like a fairly fast pace. Most days are around 3-4 hrs driving leaving time for sightseeing and stops.

Trying to decide whether I should ship New Haven and press on to Mystic or Old Saybrook.

1) Philadelphia ( Philadelphia Museum of Art, Independence Hall)

2)New Haven, CT (Old Lyme -Florence Griswold Museum) or should I skip New Haven and stay near Old Saybrook or Mystic

3)Newport, RI (historic center, mansions)

4) Portsmouth, NH

5)Portland, ME (strawberry bank-portsmouth NH)

6 & 7)Bar Harbor (Lulu Lobster, Acadia, Jordons)

8)North Conway, NH (Mt Washington Auto Rd, Sabbaday Falls,)

9)Burlington,VT (Kancamagus Hwy, Cannon Mountain Aerial Tram, Hotel: Handys Extended Stay in Colchester or Hartwell House, Church Street Market, Shelburne Museum)

10)Bennington, VT ( Rt 100 or Ethan Allen Hwy, Mad River Glass Gallery, Warren, Grafton, Hancock Shaker Village? Or,, scenic drive 125/middlebury? , Clark Institute, Norman Rockwell Museum, Hotel: Harwood Hill Motel)

11)Kent, CT (MASS MoCA , Naumkeag house , Kent Falls, Bulls’ Bridge)

Anything else I should add in this area?

Edited: 08 July 2012, 16:08
Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
946 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Trip

Day 2: Yale has some great art galleries if you want to stop in new Haven. http://artgallery.yale.edu/ http://britishart.yale.edu/. Unless you really want to do Mystic Seaport I might stay in Old Saybrook and visit Essex. if you have time spend an hour only 5 min. off I-95 http://thimbleislandcruise.com/directions/ or http://www.thimbleislands.com/ Take the cruise and when you're done take scenic route 146 to Guilford and ride around the classic New England green then back to I-95.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Trip

Just be sure to check the location of your sites before you leave. MASS MoCA is not in Kent, CT it is in North Adams, MA and Naumkeag House is in Stockbridge, MA not Kent. You mention Bulls Bridge in Kent, there is even a nice covered bridge off of Route 7 in West Cornwall. If you are interested in bridges Bennington has 3 very close together. The Bennington Museum is also nice especially for the Grandma Moses paintings.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Trip

You have quite an aggressive schedule for seeing New England !

It looks to me like you have a 10 point plan.

1. If your traveling with the kids ---you might want to know that --HERSHEY PARK is a well known amusement park and Hershey Chocolate factory and town. A great place to visit. From there you will find easy access to Philadelphia and the Amish areas..also within range is Gettysburg Battlefields National Park. A historic park.

2. New Haven --the city is a great place to visit...especially if your interested in history or theatre or Sports. You may just miss the Tennis Tournament in late August Early September. little Italy is not to be missed if Italian Food is one of your interests. It does not really offer "quaint " or scenic....but the Yale Museum of British Art along with its own collections..and the theatre and musical venues downtown on the seaside near to the IKEA store offer good entertainment for a few days.

Stay in Old Saybrook , Mystic , Lyme for more of the yesteryear feelings.

3.Newport R.I offers the mansions you mention ---but Rhode Island also offers ferrys to Nantucket and Block Island among others....and they also carry a full schedule for visitors . Everywhere in Rhode Island is only a day trip away. Stop along the highway or any visitor Center and pick up a copy .There are MANY things to do there including sailing and other water related venues. There is also a " walk" of over a mile along a scenic water view near the Mansion area.

4.Shopping ??? In Portsmouth ?? Can't imagine much more there.

5,6,7, MAINE !!! Now heres another place that deserves your time. YOu of course have the inland and the coast. You have the more Northern Canadian type areas and the South,,,,,,,

Orchard Beach would be a must do for me ------fun and funky beach area.

LL BEAN ---In Freeport--Open 24 hours and the roads and parks around it and restaurants alone can keep you going for a few days.The roads surrounding it could lead you to a blueberry pancake breakfast , or a choice of cold or hot lobster role from a trailer on the side of the road.Breathtaking views from surrounding parks' hills.

New Hampshire and Vermont--lookin good...don't forget the Berkshires of mass !!!

Edited: 10 July 2012, 20:05
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Trip

I am going to comment on each part of your schedule

"

I am really looking forward to my first trip to Vermont in early September. Nights 1 & 11 are the CT portion."

You're not leaving much time for Vermont as you have only reserved two days there.

"I enjoy beautiful scenery,art galleries, quaint towns. I know this itinerary is quicker than most people would like, but I like a fairly fast pace. Most days are around 3-4 hrs driving leaving time for sightseeing and stops. "

You are visiting quite a few cities; New Haven/Old Saybrook/Mystic, Philadephia, Portsmouth, Portland, N. Conway, Burlington rather than towns per se.

"Trying to decide whether I should ship New Haven and press on to Mystic or Old Saybrook."

New Haven defintiely has things to see, noted by other posters.

"1) Philadelphia ( Philadelphia Museum of Art, Independence Hall)"

Sounds good, philadelphia also has a small Chinatown.

"2)New Haven, CT (Old Lyme -Florence Griswold Museum) or should I skip New Haven and stay near Old Saybrook or Mystic"

You could possibly do both, but you would probably need another day as Mystic has a zoo and Mystic seaport to see.

"3)Newport, RI (historic center, mansions)"

Great stuff, and if you have time the beaches are nice too, though parking is a bit awkward.

"4) Portsmouth, NH"

I would skip this personally, and save time for better places.

"5)Portland, ME (strawberry bank-portsmouth NH)"

Not a big fan of Portland (an emerging Boston clone without the dazzle). Freeport is good if you like shopping, though it has gotten larger and less compact than it used to be as the shops are spread out over a larger area.

"6 & 7)Bar Harbor (Lulu Lobster, Acadia, Jordons)"

Now we're talking, great area and nice little gallaries and tiny little towns/villages besides Bar Harbor to visit and explore.

"8)North Conway, NH (Mt Washington Auto Rd, Sabbaday Falls,)"

Sorry, another pass

"9)Burlington,VT (Kancamagus Hwy, Cannon Mountain Aerial Tram, Hotel: Handys Extended Stay in Colchester or Hartwell House, Church Street Market, Shelburne Museum)"

Small city, but there are nicer places to visit; Waterbury and Stowe come to mind.

"10)Bennington, VT ( Rt 100 or Ethan Allen Hwy, Mad River Glass Gallery, Warren, Grafton, Hancock Shaker Village? Or,, scenic drive 125/middlebury? , Clark Institute, Norman Rockwell Museum, Hotel: Harwood Hill Motel)"

Near Bennington is nice, I stayed in the mountains near there many years ago and did some hiking; great views.

"11)Kent, CT (MASS MoCA , Naumkeag house , Kent Falls, Bulls’ Bridge)

Anything else I should add in this area?"

Great area, nice hiking and little odd antique shops in the area.

Overall, i know you talk about driving 3 hours a day, but why? You could easily do less driving per day and just enjoy a few places more (but depends on where you want to stay).

In any case, enjoy!

GA

CT
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Trip

If you love art do not miss the Florence Griswold Muesum and the Lyme Acadamy Gallery in Old Lyme, its about an hour/hour 20 from New Haven and in a very lovely area.

The Yale art museum is amazing for the size, there is also the Wadsworth and New Britian Museum up towards Hartford if your looking for something more extensive in the area

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
712 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Trip

GA (Gajinalways)

Thank you for the feedback. I have a few questions.

Mystic - The Seaport seems sort of touristy and pricey. Is it worth it. Is it a nice port town if I skip the Seaport.

Portsmouth, NH, Portland, ME

Do you have other recommendations in that area that are more scenic.

"8)North Conway, NH (Mt Washington Auto Rd, Sabbaday Falls,)"

Pass on the falls and Mt Washington? or just North Conway. Do you have another suggestion on an area to stay.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England Trip

Mystic is touristy, but the Mystic seaport is well worth seeing if you're interested in seafaring/slavery history at all.

Sorry, I misread that part of your schedule. Mt Washington is worth doing by car, though of course hiking it is better. I misread that at first and wasn't thinking properly. The falls I'm not sure if I have seen that or not.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England Trip

Hi, I had a few suggestions:

1) Philadelphia - in Olde City there is a section that has a number of small art galleries. I used to live near Rittenhouse Square and loved walking around that area - the park, shops, and dining along the square.

2) Essex, CT is a lovely little town - shops, antiques, and a great restaurant Griswold Inn

3) Mystic has an aquarium, not a zoo. I haven't been to the Seaport in years, but the downtown area has a quaint feel, nice shops and restaurants. Definitely busy with tourists, but a nice area if you can deal with that.

4) Newport - I can't say enough good things about it - the mansions, Ocean Drive, the cliffwalk, downtown shopping, and the waterfront area and activities. I've never been to the beaches. They have a tennis museum and I strongly recommend visiting the Inn at Castle Hill - they have a nice restaurant there, beautiful views, and a little lighthouse you can walk to.

5) After Kent, CT - depending on where you head home to - driving down Route 7 through all the little towns is very picturesque. You can take it all the way through Ridgefield (drive down historic Main Street and stop in at the Aldrich Museum and/or the Keeler Tavern Museum) and Wilton to eventually get to the Merritt or 95.

September is a nice time for New England. I hope you enjoy it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New England Trip

Hi, I had a few suggestions:

1) Philadelphia - in Olde City there is a section that has a number of small art galleries. I used to live near Rittenhouse Square and loved walking around that area - the park, shops, and dining along the square.

2) Essex, CT is a lovely little town - shops, antiques, and a great restaurant Griswold Inn

3) Mystic has an aquarium, not a zoo. I haven't been to the Seaport in years, but the downtown area has a quaint feel, nice shops and restaurants. Definitely busy with tourists, but a nice area if you can deal with that.

4) Newport - I can't say enough good things about it - the mansions, Ocean Drive, the cliffwalk, downtown shopping, and the waterfront area and activities. I've never been to the beaches. They have a tennis museum and I strongly recommend visiting the Inn at Castle Hill - they have a nice restaurant there, beautiful views, and a little lighthouse you can walk to.

5) After Kent, CT - depending on where you head home to - driving down Route 7 through all the little towns is very picturesque. You can take it all the way through Ridgefield (drive down historic Main Street and stop in at the Aldrich Museum and/or the Keeler Tavern Museum) and Wilton to eventually get to the Merritt or 95.

September is a nice time for New England. I hope you enjoy it.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
712 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New England Trip

Thank you for the tips. I will have to look into Essex, that sounds great.

Get answers to your questions about Connecticut