We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental by UK citizen - insurance required?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
150 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental by UK citizen - insurance required?

I am hoping that someone from the UK who has rented a car in Connecticut can give me some advice. We have booked a car rental through the Hertz UK site and we are unclear if CDW is included in the package. LDW and LIS seems to be included. Does anyone have any experience of this? We think we may need to take out a separate insurance policy for CDW with a UK insurer. Thanks.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental by UK citizen - insurance required?

I'm not from the UK...but a UK insurance policy can perhaps reimburse YOU for expenses relating to travel--but your going to need a US Insurance provider here to be completely covered.

Only maybe not to me is if you have a very hi level credit card that covers you and the car from head to foot.

Also take into consideration where your going...how many miles and where the car would be parked and what sort of traffic your going to face.

Do you have a lot of practice driving with the wheel to the left ?

These are the types of questions you should ask when deciding to take or not take insurance in the States.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental by UK citizen - insurance required?

I know that over on the Orlando forum there are UK regulars who rent cars in the USA very regularly and are a wealth of information. You may want to try asking over there in a general way.

From what I gather from reading over there is that UK drivers are not covered by their personal insurance and that UK citizens do not get coverage from their CCs. Most people on the Orlando Forum seem to rent from places that include packages tailored to foreign travelers that include all insurance up front.

3. Re: Car rental by UK citizen - insurance required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:16