We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Hi all!

We arrive in the afternoon at JFK and will take Metro North train to Connecticut to start our side trip to Newport the following day. My question is: Which station does the Metro North train stops in Connecticut that is best to get a car rental and also a nice place to stay overnight.

Thank you for your input:)

Tates

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

I would either go to Stamford or New Haven. There are car rentals in both locations as well as nice hotels.

I like New Haven better for things to do if you will have an evening to kill. You can check out the Yale campus.. Try Pepe's pizza and jsut enjoy downtown.

Nicer hotel options in New Haven are the Omni, The Study and New Haven Hotel.

Stamford also has nice hotel options with a Marriott and others but not as much to site see.

If site seeing isn't of importance then Stamford is a shorter train ride. Driving 95 is a bear sometimes so you may want to take the train farther to New Haven to skip some of the traffic.

It really is a preference thing..

Mentioned in this post
Stamford
Stamford
Connecticut
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Hi sunryz! Thanks for your suggestion. I will check on New Haven. Is that the end of the line for Metro North train?

Tates

Mentioned in this post
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
958 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

New Haven is the end of the line for Metro North but it is possible to switch to a less frequent Shoreline East to go as far as New London. shorelineeast.com/service_info/schedules.php You can rent a car there www.enterprise.com/car_rental/wls.do… but I agree New Haven is a good choice.

Mentioned in this post
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
New London
New London
Connecticut
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Thanks Brookerme:) we'll pick New Haven, will search for hotel and rentals in the area. Any suggestion?

Tates

Mentioned in this post
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
958 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Sunryz has suggested the best hotels. From them you can walk to Yale and to a number of restaurants. If you want to save $ and don't mind a 5 minute drive and parking check out www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

I have actually stayed at the Omni before on a New Years Even and it it was fine. I have been eyeing The Study which seems more hip for the next time we decide to overnight in New Haven. :)

Mentioned in this post
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Thanks all! You make it easy for us:) I will book La quinta, I find there rates reasonable although I'm a bit apprehensive because of mix reviews on tripadvisor. How about car rentals, can you recommend any please thats near the train station?

I appreciate all your help:)

Thank you again,

Tates

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Avis is in the train station I believe. https:/…

I know Brookerme recommedned La Quinta but I would not endorse it. You get what you pay for. I find that chain is not very nice and quite inconsistent depending on location. Just know you are getting an economy property so if that is okay for you then it will work.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

You have a point sunryz and maybe thats why Im still hesisitant to book our hotel.

Tates

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
236 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to rent a car and stay overnight?

Btw, Avis rates are a bit higher than I expected.. Will try Enterprise but its further away from the station. I saw they have one at Crown St. Nh.