We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

Quebec City, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

Hey everyone. I am planning on seeing my girlfriend this summer. I live in Canada/Quebec, and she lives in Connecticut. I have done some research already, and I plan on taking the train there. I have never ever taken the train before. I will take the Vermonter (a really nice friend of mine is willing to drive me to Vermont for this) to Hartford, and my girlfriend's parents will come pick me up at this point. Now, I have no experience in travelling, especially travelling alone.. I need some advice, and know if there's anything I shouldn't forget or stuff like that. Thanks in advance for your responses!

conn
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

If your taking the train travel light. Amtrak is a good option. Bring some snacks and something to drink. Lastly bring a small camera, you never know when you will have a great photo opportunity.

Quebec City, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

I have a phone for camera. Pretty sure the Vermonter is Amtrak, and I'll add the snacks and drinks to my list of things to not forget. Thanks :)

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

The Vermonter takes a little longer then the average train, but the nice thing about it is you're not driving. Take a book/movie/game with you to keep your attention just in case you can't sleep. Also to save yourself a few dollars book more then 3 days ahead if you have AAA and you get a discount.

Quebec City, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

The booking will definitely be done more than 3 days ahead. What is AAA?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

American Automobile Association

Connecticut
Level Contributor
363 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

Since you will need your passport to enter the USA, make sure you leave copies with your parents back in Canada and forward copies to your girlfriend. You should copy the page that has your photo as this will have your information and passport number. This is a precaution in case you loose your passport. All the other suggestions are good. I would suggest your travel suitcase be one the you can always keep an eye on. Large suitcases are usually placed at the end of each car and your seat may not give you the opportunity to constantly monitor its whereabouts. If you have more than will fit into a carry on, ship it ahead of time to your girlfriends house. Hope this helps.

Quebec City, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

I checked on the Amtrak website, and I'm pretty sure I should have my stuff close to me. My luggage should be able to go under the seat or something, and I will have a backpack. I think I already have copies of my passport, but I will definitely add that to my list of things to not forget that I made a while back. Thanks a lot for you help :)

Quebec City, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

I also have a question, now that I think about it: During the travel, do they tell us where we are, what station we're arriving at, or do I have to figure that out myself? And do they stop at every station?

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

Never been on the Vermonter, but the other Amtrak lines I've been on have announced the stops. Sometimes is hard to hear so it might not be a bad idea if set an alarm on your phone just incase you fall asleep.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young inexperienced Canadian traveler needs advice

Baggage goes above you on a rack. Or if its too big, there is a section in the front of each car to put oversized bags.

They do announce the trains but as the PP said, they can be tough to hear. A conductor will sometimes be walking through announcing it to or if they have looked at your tickets, they will tell you a stop or 2 ahead of time. Hartford is one of the longer stops on this route so they will be stopped for a while.

Get answers to your questions about Connecticut
Recent Conversations