We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inns for families - Country Connecticut

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Inns for families - Country Connecticut

I have asked previously on this forum about a suggested route from NYC to Boston and have had some great responses. We are likely to head up Route 7, then east on Route 9 toward Boston. Or alternatively along the coast. My problem is I am trying to find an inn with some true character for an overnight stay en route. This would be all well and good if we were just a couple but we are travelling with our children (14 and10), and the inns I have find seem to only accommodate 2 people per room. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Westport...
Level Contributor
39 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inns for families - Country Connecticut

Sounds like a nice trip. Another option would be to find a home on www.airbnb.com in the area you'd like to stop and visit around. May be less expensive than booking multiple rooms in a hotel. Would also provide a kitchen option if you wanted that. We've always found great finds on airbnb.

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inns for families - Country Connecticut

Thanks Carman310 , is Airbnb legal outside NYC? I know there is some issue with them being legal in the larger cities. We use them, and homeaway.com in Europe and love the system, but don't want to do anything wrong by booking them.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
888 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inns for families - Country Connecticut

If you travel along the Connecticut coast you could visit Mystic and stay at http://www.taberinne.com/index.php. route 7 is a nice ride but the long way to get to Boston.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inns for families - Country Connecticut

Driving along the coast from NYC to BOS is not as nice as it seems. I-95 is pretty awful and I don't think it's easy to find scenic alternative routes along the coast. Your plan of rte 7 to 9 is better. 7 is very scenic. I'll note that taking route I-90 (the mass pike) is actually more scenic than the stop and go traffic of route 9. Much of it is lined with suburban strip malls.

Here's a completely different idea. From NYC, drive out Long Island, along the North Fork (very scenic, wineries, coastal views, farm stands), then take the Orient Point Ferry to New London CT. That's very near Mystic. See the historic seaport, aquarium, etc. Overnight there. It may be more of a family motel than charming inn, but this route has a lot of interest. The ferry ride is very pleasant.

Forgive me if I already suggested that on one of your other threads.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,064 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inns for families - Country Connecticut

Check out www.BnBfinder.com.

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Inns for families - Country Connecticut

thanks guy. HAve also found iloveinns.com

7. Re: Inns for families - Country Connecticut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:16