We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint beach town near New Haven

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Quaint beach town near New Haven

Hi. We are traveling back to Pittsburgh from New Haven in July and want to spend one or two overnights in a beach town nearby - preferably something no more than 30 minutes from New Haven. Is Branford a good choice? Is there a better option? We are a family of 5 including 3 teenaged daughters. We'd love a quaint, classic New England town with a beach and a restaurant or two. Will spend most of our time on the beach, but would like to walk around a little town center at night, if possible. Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Branford
Branford
Connecticut
New England
New England
United States
Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
961 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

Branford or Guilford are towns to consider but like most Ct towns the beaches are small and fees for non-residents are steep and have limited facilities. Check their web sites. You might want to end up at www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Branford
Branford
Connecticut
Guilford
Guilford
Connecticut
Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

I'd throw Madison into consideration too...although honestly it probably depends on your budget for lodging. Guilford and Branford will offer you some cheaper motels or chain hotels...although you may find yourself farther from the beach. If your looking at a rental near the water though...that's a moot point.

But if you are booking lodging that does not include any beach access, you should do your research on beach fees before you decide...as they vary from town to town and beach to beach. For instance, in Branford, I know at least one of their beaches only offers parking for residents, despite the beach being open to the public. Not everything is clear about this online. I do know the Madison Surf Club you can purchase a daily pass at the gate..,and it's a very nice beach with a playground for the kids assuming they're young enough to still be entertained by that. Madison also has Hammonasset Beach State Park which is the largest beach in the state and also has some nice walking trails with great views. My favorite place to enjoy the sunset!

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Connecticut
Guilford
Guilford
Connecticut
Branford
Branford
Connecticut
Hammonasset Beach State Park
Hammonasset Beach State...
463 Reviews
Madison, CT
Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

Fyi...Hammonasset daily fees are $15 weekdays, $22 weekdays...which is cheaper than most of the town beaches I believe.

morris, ct
Level Contributor
219 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

I second Madison... great independent bookstore downtown (RJ Julia). Also, check out Westbrook, Clinton and Old Saybrook. You will find cheaper hotels right on Rte 1. Check out Water's Edge Resort and Old Saybrook Inn and Spa.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Connecticut
Westbrook
Westbrook
Connecticut
Old Saybrook
Old Saybrook
Connecticut
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
750 Reviews
Westbrook, CT
Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

My only beef with Clinton and Westbrook is that neither really have a town center worth walking around in the evening. Old Saybrook is a good spot too, but probably just beyond your 30 minute from New Haven preference.

Mentioned in this post
Westbrook
Westbrook
Connecticut
Old Saybrook
Old Saybrook
Connecticut
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
219 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

If I am not mistaken Milford would be about 30 minutes from New Haven. It has a lovely little town centre and village green. There are several nice restaurant right off the green and there are several beaches nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Milford
Milford
Connecticut
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

Milford has a free public beach, White Sands. Not very big. It also has a range of restaurants in a very walkable downtown. You used to be able to walk out to Charles Island from White Sands at low tide, but the town closed it down this summer as a bird sanctuary. The walk on the sandbar is still allowed, and teens should love that. You're walking along what was on the bottom of the sea, or in this case, Long Island Sound.

Mentioned in this post
Milford
Milford
Connecticut
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

9. Re: Quaint beach town near New Haven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:15