We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

If anyone is planning on visiting the Sharpe Hill Vineyard in Pomfret, CT you should reconsider.

I was there last weekend with my family and visiting in-laws. It is a nice setting and we heard that they have very nice lunches. the setting was pretty and the menu looked good, although the lunch menu didn't have lunch items on it. The entrees were full dinner portions (i.e. 16 oz Delmonico Steak). We ordered a couple of bottles of wine and the 8 of us ordered 6 entrees (including 2 of the huge steaks) as well as a full cheese and fruit plate and a special appetizer of the day. We had mentioned that we were going to share the steak since it would be too much to have a 1 lb steak for lunch.

After 20 minutes the waitress came over and informed us that the owner would not allow us to share entrees! (?!). She said that we each needed to order a separate entree. This seemed a bit bizzare and we told her that we probably wouldn't have ordered the 2 appetizers and that nothing was indicated on the menu or when we ordered. She left and came back saying that the owner was insistent that we needed to order 2 more entrees or we needed to be charged an extra $30!

We asked to speak to the owner who came over with an attitiude and a very aggressive stance. We were all taken aback. She made racist and insulting remarks to my in-laws (who were asian) telling them that they may do this in Japan or elsewhere, but in this type of restaurant they only get "the type of people" who appreciate fine dinning and that maybe we should go to some other type of place and never come back!

Then she stormed off.

The whole situation was bizzare (embarassing for my guests ) and this woman clearly has some serious issues. When we tried to point out that it was not printed on the menu or told to us when we were ordering she shouted back, don't ever come back to my restaurant again.

Our waitress looked completely embarrassed and kept appologizing to us. We tipped her very well, since she actually tried to give us a good experience and we feel bad that she has to work for such a woman.

I can't imagine that she keeps employees very long or has returning customers. Anyway, I wanted to share this experience since it was so disturbing and there are plenty of other places and people who deserve your support and will help you have a nicer experience.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

The only comment I can think of is that it never ceases to amaze me how many people are in this business that just flat out shouldn't be .

I have heard of places charging an extra $5 or so for sharing . What if one or two people in the party just weren't hungry , not feeling well , or were on a special diet ? I would yhink that any place wouldn't mind as long as 3 out of 4 people are ordering .

Strange !

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

yes it was bizzare. I did contact the better business bureau and the CT board of tourism (since that is where I found out about this place) to let them know of my experience so that hopefully others will be spared such an unpleasant interaction.

Jacksonville Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

I'm sorry you had a negative experience as I have eaten there many times and love the intimate atmosphere and find the food just yummy. I have also been several times for the wine tasting and plan to revisit in the future. My family all love going there as well.

Stonington
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

Wow! That is an amazing story! I totally understand the theory behind a "sharing charge." Customers can't occupy a table,

and then order only 40 or 50% of what the restaurant might expect other patrons to spend. BUT.... having ordered two bottles of wine, 6 entrees, and a couple of appetizers, I think you MORE than covered your "obligation." Thanks for the tip! I'm crossing them off of my list!

5. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 21:40
hartford ct
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

how come people saying great things abt this place have only one post,some damage control thing going on?

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

A restaurant should post any requirements such as sharing charges ,or minimums , on the menu ! Not wait to tell people after they have started eating and drinking . Besides being unfair and a poor business policy ( look at all the negative responses here ) it is probably illegal . One should complain to the Consumer Affairs Dept. of Conn. Furthermore the minimum required p.p. expenditure should be equal to the price of the lowest entree . And the minimum should be averaged for the table .

Moosup,CT
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

Man, admglick!! That sux!! I live in CT and I used to live very near Sharp Hill (Hampton). While I echo the sentiments of the many posters who raved about the meals there I have to agree that you were badly treated. I'm sure that there's more to the story (two sides and all of that) but I've reviewed some of your other posts and my impression is that you are fairly objective. It seems to me that a more appropriate response would have been to explain the economics of the situation and then accomodate you so that you would have left there thinking, "wasn't it nice of them to accomodate us" instead of "What's up that woman's a**?!". I would hope that Sharp Hill took the opportunity to learn from this encounter and to modify their menu (and website) to explain the rules. My experiences with Sharp Hill have been good but I'm disappointed with their response to your situation. I'm sorry that happened to you and your in-laws.

Eastern Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

I also am from that area...and Iknow the owner. That is , I have had business dealings with her. It doesn't surprise me one bit. She is notoriously rude and often insulting without even knowing she has insulted (the worst kind). She is her own worst enemy. In defense: she is not from eastern Connecticut - that's not our style; and the wine, the employees and the food are all superb. Did I say the wine is superb? It is.

RI
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: horrible experience at Sharpe Hill Vineyard

We went there last year as part of the Ct winery tour. Food and service terrible. Will never go back againl.