We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

An earlier post led to a discussion of local sausage and scrapple and it made me think -- what local foods should visitors from other areas sample while they're vacationing in Delaware?

I don't mean which restaurants they should try. Just foods that are local/regional that they might see on a menu or find in a local supermarket.

In that previous post, there were recommendations for sausage by Milton Sausage and Kirby & Holloway. Also Kirby & Holloway scrapple. All made in DE.

Another fave of mine is Lebanon bologna. (OK, originated in PA, but widely available in Delaware grocery stores. And unknown in many parts of the US.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_bologna Nothing like plain old bologna. I think the "regular" is better than "sweet," if you get both to choose from.

And of course there are fresh mushrooms, some raised in nearby PA but lots available from mushroom farms in Hockessin, DE.

It's a small state, so maybe the food itself (like sausage) isn't unique -- but just made very very well by a DE or nearby producer.

So -- What else should be on the "Delaware Foods to Sample" list?

delaware
Level Contributor
55 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

How about local wines? The Nassau winery is just outside Rehoboth. I haven't tried their wines myself, but I have heard they are doing a pretty good job.

A Capriotti's or Casapulla's sub should be on that list. My brother moved to the west coast and we have to take them with us when we go or ship them out.

In Hockessin (New Castle county)there is a restaurant called the Back Burner that makes the most incredible pumpkin mushroom soup. They sell it to go out of the freezer in the Back Burner To Go store if you don't want to dine in.

There is a restaurant/tavern around Smyrna that serves muskrat in season. Can't think of the name at the moment - I think it 's the Wagon Wheel. Maybe some one else has heard of it? Not my idea of fine dining!

Bethany Beach, DE
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

Good idea!

Many locals like Rapa scrapple made in Delaware and served during the Apple-Scrapple festival in the fall.

Also Bennett peaches from Dagsboro on Omar Road.

McGee strawberries in May

Dog Fish and their many flavors of beer and Nassua Wines are great.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

There is something about Delmarva corn and tomatoes that cannot be matched else where. I always pick some up when I have a chance.

Slick flat dumplings are another eastern shore favorite, served with meat or veggires.

I am also a fan Lewes Dairy eggnog around X-Mas.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

Don't miss the crabs (crustaceans, that is), and if you're at the beach Dolly's salt water taffy. Grotto pizza used to be a must, but after two takeouts with grease-sodden box bottoms, we've stopped going.

Bethany Beach, DE
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

You are right about Grottos...use to be a good pizza.

Now it is a greasy mess and tasteless.

We stop by Millsboro when on the road and get a great homemade crust and sauce pizza from Pizza Palace on Rt. 113.

Taste good even reheated.

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

Great suggestions all! Of course Nassau wine and the Dogfish Head brews. (Has anybody tried their distilled spirits recently? We tried some of their vodka when it first came out and honestly, it was undrinkable. Hope they've improved on those early batches. Would love recent reports.)

Blue crabs! How could I forget?! And amen amen to subs from one of the "C" places. Totally agree about Grotto's -- is it moreso on pepperoni pizzas? (Maybe somebody would like to start a "best pizza at the beach or in DE" topic for visitors??)

We enjoy Back Burner but I gotta say, I can never bring myself to order that pumpkin mushroom soup. Maybe getting it to go is the answer . . .

My brother has lived 1000 miles away for years but like me, grew up in Delaware -- I'm recalling the foods he wants us to bring when we visit. Capriotti's subs -- we've lugged pounds and pounds of them in carry-on luggage, and they'll pack them with all the soggy stuff separately packaged.

Also just about anything by TastyKake Bakery -- again, made in PA not DE, but not readily available west of the Appalachians. So visitors, when you go to a DE grocery store, pick up some TastyKake Butterscotch Krimpets and Peanut Butter KandyKakes (anybody remember when they were TandyTakes?) And he always wants many bags of Herr's Salt & Vinegar potato chips -- made in PA, about 30 minutes from where we live now, but not a national brand.

Keep the good ideas coming!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

I never really thought about DE having uniquely native foods...most of those listed are from neighboring PA. Although certainly not unique, chicken is DE's most prominently produced food product...way more chickens than people in Sussex county!

Good local fish & produce also but, again, not unique.

Glad to see others feel Grotto pizza is over-rated....I've never been able to understand the hype.

When in Rehoboth perhaps a "Nic-O-Boli" from Nicola's is uniquely "south DE" cuisine.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

Dogfish now makes rum, too; pricey, haven't tasted it.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

oh, newtomd!!!

DITTO on the lewes eggnog!!!!! oh MY that is special!

i've developed a private tradition of having some (with a shot of rum) while decorating the christmas tree!

yes, most of these are "regional" rather than just delaware. UTZ potato chips are the BEST...& yeah, the tastycakes...they're just a HUGE step up from "twinkies" or "little debbie".

"tandy takes" LOL...of course i remember!

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foods for non-locals to sample while visiting Delaware

I live around the corner from the original Lou Casapulla's in Elsmere, and you forgot to mention the steak sandwiches with or w/o fried onions and mushrooms. I also had my first roast beef sub with cole slaw from Capriotti's. It was great! I have never tried their "Bobby". Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce (Thanksgiving on a roll?).