We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

i'd appreciate ideas/suggestions for a four-day getaway in september about four hours away from pittsburgh with accommodations/activities that'd be wheelchair-accessible for a "60-something" woman. there are four of us "ladies," and we like to sightsee, eat, and shop!

any cities/places in delaware that'd "fit the bill?"

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

Everywhere in Delaware is at least 5 hours away, not four, unless you're way east of Pittsburgh.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 05:18
pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

five hours is "do-able," but that'd be the max. if it's somewhere that'd be suitable, we're more than willing to drive!

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

OK, in that case I recommend a visit to the Brandywine Valley, an area that straddles northern Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania.

http://www.thebrandywine.com/

http://www.brandywinevalley.com/

http://www.visitwilmingtonde.com/

September is a very pretty time here, and the special events calendar is chock full of interesting local festivals: www.thebrandywine.com/special/index.html#sept

Many of the museums and nearby hotels/motels are handicapped accessible. Longwood Gardens offers free scooters -- my 88-yr-old mom uses them regularly.

No sales tax on ANYthing in DE. Some seriously outstanding restaurants in the area, in both states. A few are even BYOB.

I noticed you didn't post this query in the PA forum. Have you already visited the Amish Country and all the other tourist attractions in Lancaster County? If not, that area would certainly meet your three criteria quite well. And it's an hour closer to you.

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

thanks for the input!

been to lancaster, but never to delaware, so that sounds very interesting.

how long do you think it'd take to get the area to which you referred?

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

Obviously a lot depends on where you're starting. So I used the Pbgh. landmark I know, Marriott Courtyard on Penn Ave. Google Mapped to Brandywine River Museum in Chadds Ford, PA, sortof a central spot in the Brandywine Valley. Google says it's 4 hrs., 45 min., coming by way of the PA Turnpike.

Many of the Brandywine Valley prime accommodations, restaurants, and museums are in PA, but barely 5 miles from the Delaware state line. At least half of the best museums and lots of great restaurants in BV are in Delaware, and of course that's where all the tax-free shopping is.

Take some time to explore the BV websites, order the tourist packets offered. Happy to help with further planning, but you'd need to provide lots more info on specific cultural interests, budget, and shopping preferences if further recommendations are to be useful.

You didn't mention any interest in history, but if you come this far it might be worth a half-day visit to New Castle, Delaware, est. 1651. A lovely little colonial town on the Delaware River. thebrandywine.com/go/historic_new_castle.html

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

those are wonderful websites! i think this would be a great trip for us.

can you recommend reasonably priced, CLEAN, handicapped-accessible hotels that would fairly close to the brandywine region?

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

Everybody has a different definition of "reasonable." Inn at Mendenhall is a great location; $135/night for a room in mid-September includes buffet breakfast. They also have "Brandywine Sampler" packages that include admission to area attractions. And their restaurant is pretty good.

To find accommodations that will put you in the heart of the Brandywine Valley, search under Chadds Ford, Kennett Square, Mendenhall, Concordville, Glen Mills (all in PA). Or in Delaware -- Montchanin, Centerville or Greenville. Your choices are pretty much a B&B, a larger independent inn, or a small chain hotel. There are no really big hotels unless you want to stay in Philly or even Wilmington, DE.

I think you need to narrow down your lodging choices; then call each hotel you're considering for specific info about handicapped accessibility. I think they all say they are, but not sure what that really means. If you get to the point where you have three or four possibilities and need help deciding on best location, happy to help.

pa
Level Contributor
623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

we'd love to tour longwood gardens, some of the mansions, and new castle, shop at some non-chain, one-of-a-kind shops, eat good food, etc. i love b&b's, but with one person in a wheelchair, a smaller chain hotel's the way to go. any suggestions? is it reasonable to stay in pennsylvania and be close enough to do the activities listed above?

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

Here's a map that locates major attractions and hotels:

thebrandywine.com/stay/brandywine_valley_hot…

I'm not sure about the scale. For perspective, it's about a 15-minute drive from Longwood Gardens to Winterthur. Another 25 minutes from Winterthur to Old New Castle (down at the bottom of the map).

10. Re: long weekend suggestions that'd be handicapped accessible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:18