We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport Dover De

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
public transport Dover De

Hi , have planned trip to USA for early next year, my third time, but still excited about it :). This time my friend & I fly into DC, from there we plan on visiting nearby states & will stay in each two or three nights, have looked on Amtrak and trains seem to be cheap and constant, but my prob is, when we reach Delaware our bus leaves us in Dover, but we are staying in Milford, which seems to be about fifteen miles from Dover, I cannot seem to find any public transport going to Milford, can anyone help? please, also if anyone has any tips for Dc/Baltimore/Philly/Richmond/ I would be very grateful, as it will be my first visit to these states, I have of course done some research on tours and usual tourist things to do, but all info gratefully received hanks , Anne

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport Dover De

Dear Ainekelly --

To answer your specific question, there is a DART bus from Dover to Georgetown with a stop at Milford. Here is the route and schedule: dartfirststate.com/information/…rt303.pdf

Do I understand you plan to stay in Milford for 2-3 nights? And that will be your only stop in Delaware?

Gosh, that's really not a good plan. (Unless you have friends or family there, in which case that explains everything.)

There MIGHT be 3-4 hours of stuff to do (besides eating) in Milford if you have no car. If you want to spend 2-3 nights in Delaware you need to do it in the Wilmington area or, if it's not TOO early in the year, like late March or after, in one of the beach resorts, like Rehoboth Beach.

I'm stunned that you've somehow been directed to Milford. Even Dover would have a lot more to do than Milford.

Would you care to share more of your itinerary? If Milford has been presented as a "must see" destination, I really wonder where else you're planning to visit. And whether there might be better alternatives.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport Dover De

Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply, and also for your very honest & helpful reply, we are flying from here (Ireland) to wash Dc , where we stay for two nights, then on to Baltimore MD, for another two nights, then to Philly for three nights, from there to Richmond VA, then to Milford!! for two nights & finally back to Wash DC for two nights , then fly back home, I have booked hotels on Hotel.com , so I think changing Milford to Wilmington will be no problem.. As I said in my original note this will be my first visit to this part of USA, so any help from people is most welcome, again thank you so very much for help, I will show Catherine your reply & we will change our itinerary today, :) Anne

Delaware
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport Dover De

Wow, that's quite an itinerary! I agree that unless you are going to Milford for a specific reason it really isn't going to give you much of a taste of Delaware. But what really jumped out at me was that you go from Philadelphia south to Richmond and then back north to Delaware. You might want to consider 1) switch the last two stops, and instead visit Philadelphia -> Delaware -> Richmond -> DC and 2) switch your hotel reservations from Milford and either visit the Wilmington area (more urban), Dover (state capital), or the beaches (tax free shopping!).

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport Dover De

Thank you so very much, you seem to be our tour guide, (big smile), I will endeavor to change dates in hotels, , I do not know geography of USA, so I did think I was doing it wrong way around...

we are trying to fit in as much as we can on trip, but we will be quiet happy if we get to see the main sights in DC, & of course Arlington & Gettysburg , of course tax free shopping would be nice too !!!!.. I printed out travel link you sent, so again thank you for that... We are very much looking forward to the trip, just hope we are not snowed in during it :)... I will let you know our final itinerary, your help is very much appreciated...

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
58 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport Dover De

I hope that you are visiting friends in Milford as that is about all there is to do there - just want to make sure that you are not expecting the town to be exciting!

Have a great trip, and I'd MUCH rather be going to Ireland than Milford!

6. Re: public transport Dover De

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 06:21