We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in DE

brussels
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Overnight in DE

Hi, we will be travelling back from Cape Cod to DC in August and are looking to break the journey for an overnight stay somewhere close to the highway and which would leave us a 2 / 3 hr journey to DC the following day. Ideally like a little town / somewhere pleasant - not just a hughway motel if possible. Any recommendations would be welcome! Thanks

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
858 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in DE

Well.....thats a bit of a tough one. you will prbly be traveling I95. Delaware is about 2 hrs or a bitmore depending on traffic. Most of the accomodations are highway motels. Newark is a small university town with alot of good eating. A bit more off the highway is the Inn at Montchanin. very nice

You might consider leaving the interstate there on US896 and follow it south onto 301 The ride would take you through some farm country , across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and thru Anapollis MD. In August tho you would want to avoid this route on Sunday as it will be swamped with beach crowd returning to DC

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1,213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in DE

Consider stopping in Newark, DE just off i-95 at 896. It is the home of the U of DE. There are lots of cute restaurants on Main St in downtown. Also a bowling alley and movie theater. There are are few quaint shops. You can go ice skating at the Fred Rust Ice Arena..open to the public.

Another convenient stop would be Route 273 off i-95, just before the DE Travel Plaza. There are a few hotels in addition to being just a short drive from the Christiana Mall (tax free shopping), Boscovs, Burlington Coat Factory, several restaurants and a roller skating rink.

You will be about 2 hours from DC from either of these two stops.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in DE

Take a look at Havre de Grace MD, on the northern tip of the bay & very convenient to 95. Charming scenic town to spend a leisurely day.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
14 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in DE

Might suggest the Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, Delaware. Very easy to locate: Take exit 7B, hang a left on Delaware Avenue, drive maybe six blocks, and it's at the corner of 11th. and Market. This place is a Belle Epoque Grande Dame with a restaurant that's a destination. A little pricey, but in August you and your family can score bargains as the entire city has migrated to the beaches (OK, most of it). Kids welcomed.

If the kids are bored, there's a brand-new Imax cinema at the Riverfront, maybe a half-mile past the railroad station. But don't expect an urban buzz. Like most small cities in the States, this one shuts down early. Ignore the crime hysteria; in that neighborhood, nothing happens.

If you're leaving Wilmington, or just passing through this region, try to avoid Interstate 95 south of the city on Summer afternoons. After maybe 2:00PM, the beach traffic is insufferable. Apropos traffic, kindly note that the rush hour in DC begins at Noon Fridays year round.

Delaware
Level Contributor
136 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in DE

I'm trying to think of somewhere cute that is close to the highway and 2/3 the way to DC and am coming up somewhat blank. Havre de Grace is a great idea but not sure what your preference of hotel class is. What comes to mind is the Christiana Hilton. It is about 2 seconds off of I-95. The area is what it is... I wouldn't call it anywhere near cute but you can find some great restaurants like Firebirds and Potstickers. The hotel itself is lovely and may be worth the overnight stop. It's your call- google them and check them out.

The Inn at Montchannin as recommend by Frank-n-Pat is also beautiful and has a fantastic restaurant called Krazy Kats. You will be about 15-20 minutes off of I-95 in traffic but if you have the time and the adventurous streak in you to explore the beautiful valley go for it!!!

6. Re: Overnight in DE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:15