We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

I am looking at vacationing next summer at one of the Delaware Bay beach towns...Slaughter Beach, Broadkill Beach, etc. We wanted to try something closer, but there aren't many "quiet" Atlantic beaches north of the Carolinas.

We have always vacationed on the Atlantic, mostly in NC or SC, and I am concerned about the difference in "beach experience" being on the bay. Is the beach sand? Rocky or soft? Is the water clear or full of floating grasses?

I understand there aren't any waves, per se, but is it still fun to go in the water? Do people swim in the water?

Any insights would be most appreciated!

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

As a child, my parents would drag my brother and me to Broadkill Beach every summer. All I remember were the dying horseshoe crabs, huge horsefly's, toads, seaweed and rocky beaches. Not to mention, absolutely nothing to do, but the beach. I couldn't wait to visit Rehoboth or Ocean City, MD for some type of activities. We spend our summer vacation in the OBX, NC now. Why not try Lewes, Rehoboth, Bethany , Dewey or Fenwick Island?

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

Dead horseshoe crabs and biting flies were some of my concerns...

As far as Bethany, Rehobeth, etc. - we can't stand the crowds, which is why we always have gone to the quiet beaches in NC and SC.

I appreciate your quick response!

Any other opinions?

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
800 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

Have you considred Lewes?

Delaware
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

Horseshoe crabs are only late May/early June. Flies can be bad, but they can also be bad at the ocean beaches if you have a land breeze. My major caution to you is to be aware that the bay floor is more "mucky" than the ocean and the water is not clear. It's not a sandy bay by any stretch and I would never venture in without water shoes. For this reason more than any other, the Delaware bay beaches are not really swimming beaches. The exception is Lewes beach, because of its proximity to the ocean... the bay floor is sandy and swimming is wonderful, especially if you have small children. The areas you mention are definitely quiet, but if you want a beach experience I'd look elsewhere.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

DEtraveler's post is absolutely correct. The further up the bay you go, the less swimable (or even palatable) the conditions. Trust me on that.

Lewes is actually my swimming beach of choice (not needing waves for the young "boogie boarders), and if waves aren't a "must" for your group, I believe you would find the entire length of their beach somewhat similar to OBX and other Carolina beach towns (meaning other than at the parking lots, it's either beach-front free-standing houses or lo-rise multi-unit condos).

Water quality will vary, but is usually fairly good, and warmer than the ocean. As elsewhere along the bay, there is a very gradual slope into deeper water, and at low tide, there may even be "sand bar islands" you can wade out to..

Yorktown Heights...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

I read your recommendation for rehobeth, Bethany beach, etc. I've heard that the beaches are rocky. Is that true? I've been to ocean city and didn't find it rocky so I was surprised to hear about rocky beaches up the coast in DE. Pls advise.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

After they dredged and replenished the beach a few years ago the Rehoboth beach did have a lot of rocks. They were not familiar with the saying "If it's not broke ..don't fix it"

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

the water is great, and the bay is a lot of fun. the beaches at lewes are groomed, but broadkill beach and above are sand and are nice, but are not groomed as neatly as big beaches. so they are more natural, with some brown grasses and some rocks. alot of people like this style of beach. it is all very private, too. like your own personal paradise. the water is shallow so is perfect for kids. you can rent kayaks from local shops and explore. you can also get a fishing license and go fishing in the bay or catch crabs. really very cool places to go and see. i would definitely recommend. you can easily drive to cape henlopen state park, rehoboth or dewey for the waves, or Rt1, lewes, rehoboth, and dewey for the restaurants bars and nightlife. go for it...you'll like it

9. Re: What are Delaware Bay beaches like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:17