We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spontaneous Saturday Through Delaware

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
148 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Spontaneous Saturday Through Delaware

As fortune would have it, I'm making my way from Philadelphia, PA on Saturday morning to a hotel I've booked near Rehobooth, DE for this upcoming Saturday (April 5th). My only previous experience with the Small Wonder that is Delaware has been a brief stop off the interstate up in the northern section, so I see this as an opportunity to take in a bit more of the state.

Now, I realize that even though Delaware isn't all that large compared to other states, it is still not possible to 'take it all in' with just an afternoon driving through. Nonetheless, I figured I would just see if there are any suggestions to be made regarding my plan to travel via New Castle (stopping at Jessop's Tavern for lunch), or to Dover (quick glimpse of the capitol building, perhaps take in a museum), before settling in and seeing what Lewes and Rehobooth Beach have to offer on a Saturday night.

I'm particularly interested in must see architecture, foods, or even things to do while in Delaware. I'll also have a bit of time in the morning before my travels take me on down to Ocean City, MD and the eastern shore of VA.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 07:29
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spontaneous Saturday Through Delaware

It sounds like you have a wonderful day planned. The must see exhibit of the Downton Abbey Costumes is being held at Winterthur which is in New Castle County. This is the only exhibit of it's kind in the US. Since you are planning to eat at Jessops Tavern you could also take a stroll though Old New Castle. Penn's Place is a nice place to stop for a coffee. There are a couple of museums you might like in Dover depending upon your interests. In downtown there is the Biggs Museum which houses American art , along route 1 there is the Air Mobility Command Museum which house a large collection of military aircraft even Air Force 2. Rehoboth is home to so many wonderful Restaurants. Nage on Route 1 is always excellent. Hope this helps if you need any more information please explore visitdelaware.com.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
148 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spontaneous Saturday Through Delaware

The weather is looking great for this Saturday... Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to check it out!

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
806 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spontaneous Saturday Through Delaware

Since you are already in New Castle you might consider a ride down state route 9. You pick it up right outside historic New Castle. It is a scenic route along the Delaware wetlands. It will drop you back on DE Rt 1 just below Dover AFB.

4. Re: Spontaneous Saturday Through Delaware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:15