We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hazardous drunks at hotels

2 posts
Save Topic
Hazardous drunks at hotels

According to one Delaware State Trooper I met, it's OK for the police to pick up someone for being intoxicated and a hazard, but then just drop them off at their hotel, even in the middle of the night. Does this seem OK to everyone? Makes me wonder if I want to stay in a hotel in Delaware.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hazardous drunks at hotels

Why would this make you not want to stay at any hotel in Delaware? I would imagine that most of the inebriated would just return to their rooms and go to bed, as I would also imagine that this policy -- if it does exist -- applies to individual who are simply intoxicated in public and not to individuals who have committed associated crimes such as driving drunk. Public intoxication generally incurs a fine, not jail time. If a trooper spots someone who is intoxicated in public and hasn't committed other offenses, transporting him or her to a hotel is preferrable to issuing a citation and having the individual at some point try to drive.

And, if you think that there aren't drunks in hotels, you've got another think coming.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 15:02
Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hazardous drunks at hotels

The point is the person isn't just drunk they're a hazard. I'm not sure exactly what hazard means it's a legal term in Delaware at least.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States