We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for yearly rental

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for yearly rental

We're looking to rent a three-bedroom unfurnished house on a year to year basis in southern Florida, but don't know how to go about figuring out where the best place would be to rent that is near some amenities (restaurants, stores, theatres) without actually being in a big city. We'd sign a yearly lease but would only stay there during the winter months. I'd like to be on a waterway of some sort (lake/ocean/canal) as we like to kayak, and would like to stay under $1600./month. Any ideas how we should go about this, as well as suggestions as to the best southern Florida locations? Padmapper is helpful, but limited.

Navarre Kayak Fishing
Kayaking & Canoeing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours
Barefoot Kayak & Paddle Board Rentals
Lessons & Workshops, Equipment Hire, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Scooter Hut Rentals
Kayaking & Canoeing, Water Sports, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Equipment Hire
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for yearly rental

I don't know about theatres but many of the homes in Cape Coral are on canals. And it was an area that had the highest foreclosure rate in the USA, (don't know what the situation is now) so you may find some homes that are still vacant. Nearest beach would be Ft. Myers Beach. And CC is far South enough to be comfortable in Winter.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,712 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for yearly rental

With a yearly rental I would only go thru a realtor and ask if the house is in forclosure. You have to be careful of this because if its in reposession they can give you 24 hours to move out. There are lots of individuals renting out properties that are in forclosure knowing that you could be kicked out. Once you decide on a city you can google the area for realtors or send a PM to one of the local DE's for the area and see if they have some suggestions. Many realtor sites and MLS will have rental listings.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for yearly rental

Wow! That's not something I would have thought about. No way could we have been able to vacate on 24 hour notice as it takes 2.5 to 3 days to drive from Ottawa, Canada down to Fr Myers Beach. We will definitely contact a realtor. Also, Cape Coral seemed to have many more good rentals than many other areas so that must be because of the foreclosures. The area looks beautiful.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,712 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for yearly rental

The gulf coast area is very nice, can't help with which area is better than others. If you are staying mostly winter months you should be find be pretty far south. It can get pretty warm in the summer especially late July, August and early Sept. You could also look at 7 months lease unless you find somewhere you really like and don't want to lose it. Rates are sometimes higher on 7 mo. leases too. Also make sure of whats included. Lawn care, HOA fee's if in a development or if its a condo (some places make the renter pay those but not many), pest control (not always included). Finding a good landlord / management company / realtor is key to having a good rental experience.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for yearly rental

Here are a few things to think about before signing a yearly rental:

Many homes that are being foreclosed have not been kept up and a/c has been turned off. I would be careful renting one that has gone through foreclosure. Mould grows very quickly here - something our realtor warned us about when we were shopping for our place - so be careful what you rent. A good realtor will help you avoid pitfalls.

Insurance. Most homes are not covered if a home is left vacant. You would need to have someone go in the house regularly when the house is vacant or the owners house insurance would be invalid. If it was vacant and a claim needed to be made, I'm not sure what the liability would be.

A/C needs to be left on when the house is vacant to prevent mould from growing. Just an FYI so you aren't liable for damage.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for yearly rental

What I get from the feedback, is that it might be better to go through a realtor. I sent out a couple of emails to realtors I found on-line, but have yet to hear back from them, possibly because rentals aren't as lucrative to them as sales. Any suggestions as to a possible contact who handles rentals, that I could approach in this regard?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for yearly rental

Close to Cape Coral is the small town of Matlacha, between Cape Coral and Pine island.

This house is in a quiet neighborhood and on the water and walkable to restaurants and shops.

VRBO # 297719, for example, which we stayed in. Has a canoe with OB motor avalable. I liked the neighborhood feel.

Also Bookelia is on Pine island, another quiet area on the water. Example VRBO # 426588, which I did NOT stay in.

8. Re: Advice for yearly rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:17