We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everglades advice for seasoned travelers

new york city
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Everglades advice for seasoned travelers

We will be in Fort Lauderdale the first week of December and would like to experience the wildlife of the Everglades. We are seasoned travelers and have been to places such as the Galapagos and a safari in Africa. We are not interested in a "fast adventure boat" thru sawgrass which sounds more like a thrill ride than a nature journey. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Miami Combo Tour: City Sightseeing...
889 Reviews
from US$67.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
153 Reviews
from US$63.00*
5 replies to this topic
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,319 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Everglades advice for seasoned travelers

I'm not sure what state the Everglades are in after the hurricane. Have a look at the Anghinga Trail, which think is open. It's not very adventurous as you just walk over the water on a boardwalk but you are pretty much guaranteed to see plenty of wildlife.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Everglades advice for seasoned travelers

The water levels are high in the park and the website below will give information about the closings. /www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm You could enter the park via from Homestead and see the Coe visitors center and walk the Anhinga trail as suggested by TravellerfromUK.

You can also drive along Route 41 and stop at the Miccosukee Indiann Village. http://www.miccosukee.com/indian-village

Here is more information about Route 41: floridarambler.com/florida-destinations/…

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,948 posts
259 reviews
3. Re: Everglades advice for seasoned travelers

Come with an open mind, high water levels and ongoing storm clean up may mean you arent "pretty much guaranteed to see plenty of wildlife." I doubt our wildlife levels would ever match those of Galapagos or a safari, maybe once the dry season is in full swing. Once things dry out, the animals tend to "bunch up" near where they can find enough water.

new york city
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Everglades advice for seasoned travelers

thanks!!

new york city
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Everglades advice for seasoned travelers

thank you so much! Indeed I was able to find the places that are still closed, based on your advice. I appreciate it!

Reply to: Everglades advice for seasoned travelers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted