We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying for a week next spring-gulf side

Dunkirk, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
staying for a week next spring-gulf side

We're having a family trip to Florida next Spring Break. Any suggestions where to go? We want to stay in NW Florida, around the Destin/Appalachicola area.

Any reccomendations on where we can get a nice hotel/condo/resort (3 bedrooms needed) for preferably around 1200 for the week (def no more than 1600). All inclusive resorts would be preferred, and obviously if food, etc.. is included then the price will be a little higher.

What is the weather like in mid-late April? And are the water temps warm enough for swimming? This year in March we went to Myrtle Beach and it was horrible.. we didnt even leave the hotel room most of the time.. COULDNT leave without a hoodie! The highest temp it reached was 73 degrees..but it was raining and windy. Hoping for better weather next year in Florida!

Thanks so much!

Sarah

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

The weather SHOULD be OK in that time frame, but we had the same kind of early-spring storms this year that Myrtle Beach did.

I don't think it's warm enough to swim at that time of year, but you're probably a little tougher than I am. :)

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

There is no big resorts east of Panama City to Apalach, in fact very little in the way of Hotels, most people rent private owner condos in Mexico Beach, Cape San Blas or St. George Island, there will be no Spring Break kids there becase there is essentally nothing to do (but have a nice and quiet vacation) [We, who have places in the Forgotten coast like it that way. ]Panama and Destin may be a better choice for resorts and activities, but you'll run into more Spring breakers. Living in South Florida like Ms Kitty, I think the water is Freezing and when we were up there, got in up to my knees (May 6th) and thought it was about 71 o. If you could drive or fly more south to say Clearwater, it will be a whole differnt story.

Dunkirk, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

anyone ever been to a club med? is it worth the price?

Sarah

Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

I stayed at Mexico Beach (this is a beach in the area you selected) in a townhome last August and it was wonderful. The townhome was through a real estate company, I want to say Coldwell Banker, but don't really remember. Search for real estate companies and you will find links to their vacation rentals. The townhome was perfect, it was right on the beach and we had a deck with a grill right on the sand. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Mexico Beach, however, didn't seem to have much in the way of hotels and such, with pools and all that. You may need to be closer to Panama City for that. It was a really quiet and tranquil place to be, that's why I loved it.

Personally, April is my favorite time of year in Florida. It's not the too hot season yet, a pretty dry month, and just really wonderful weather. The water, for me, is still a touch too cool for swimming. But people do it. But the nice thing is that it's not too hot on the beach that you HAVE to get in the water.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

Weather in April in FLorida is the best. 70's day, 50's night, Water temp high 70's. Its before the rainy season so usually dry all month.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

I think Club Med is high and I perfer to do my hotel and attractractions.It is way cheaper than Club Med.

Blairsville
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

This was my first time staying at a house near the beach (within walking distance) in Cape San Blas. The house was very nice. It accomodated 7-8 people comfortably. The property was rented from Vacation Rentals and called "7th

Inning Stretch." The cost was $1,000/week (peak season).

Our trip was scheduled May 28th to June 4th. We did experience rain which kept us from enjoying the beach as much as we would of liked. I recommend trips to

the beach in the panhandle of Florida be done during the month of April or early May. Hurricane season starts June 1 to November 30.

The place to eat is the "INDIAN PASS RAW BAR." Very rustic in

appearance but don't let that keep you for enjoying food that specifically reflects the area. It was only about 5 minutes from our house and people come from all over to eat there. The management goes beyond the call of duty and gets an "excellent" rating from our clan.

Also, do not miss going to St. Joesph Penninusula State Park. In 2002 it was rate the top beach in the U.S. The park does have limited number of cabins which do not have telehones or TV's. It is like $80/night. If interested you need to

make reservations about 11 months ahead. Do a google search on Florida State Parks. This will help you find this particular Florida State Park.

Before we got to Cape San Blas, we stopped at super Wal-Mart near Panama City to get our groceries and other items to take to the vacation house. There is a Piggly Wiggly nearby but it is limited.

On our way home we took a different route and went by St. George Island. This looked like a wonderful place to stay. It had a very quaint town with neat shops to go to inaddition to the beach. I would like to stay here next time on our trip to the Florida Panhandle.

Orlando, Fl
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying for a week next spring-gulf side

It is hard to say really. Spring break in 1998 (this was in March sometime) it was cold and rainy for 3 of the 4 days I was there (Panama City Beach). Then it was nice the last day and started getting warmer. The water will probably still be cold there, but then I am speaking as a Florida girl, so you may find the water just right. Another year (maybe around 2001) we were in that are in April and it was nice and warm. It is hard to say what it might be like...it all depends on if any cold fronts come through. Mid to late April is a little safer than March, but you never really know...