We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Similar to Caribbean?

San Diego
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach Similar to Caribbean?

I have free RT tix within the US and was thinking of Florida. Are there any beaches/resorts that are similar to the Caribbean like St Barts, St John, etc with powder white sand and clear warm blue green water, and with upscale restaurants and entertainment? My sister lives in Sarasota and I could visit her but I don't remember it being too interesting there.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Similar to Caribbean?

you are describing destin fl area to a tee

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Similar to Caribbean?

Ask your sister what the Siesta Key public beach is like.

San Diego
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Similar to Caribbean?

Thanks all!

The New Forest...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Similar to Caribbean?

I went to Siesta Key Beach with my two tiny children last week and it was amazing. I have never seen a beach with sand that is like warm snow. It was so white, dazzlingly and so fine that my daughter just swam in it and giggled. There were a family of dolphins playing catch with a fish in the shallows and the water was that amazing translucent turquoise and gold. I have lived in the Bahamas, I have visited T&T in the Caribbean and I have never seen sand like that! Try it.

Also beautiful were the beaches down on the Keys. There was good snorkelling and beautiful deserted beaches, with jewel-like water - green turquoise, gold...absolutely stunning.

Even better if you're going now why not go up to Crystal River just 3 hours north of Sarasota and do a once-in-a-lifetime swim with manatees in their wild environment. It was an unforgettable experience.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Similar to Caribbean?

Beatrice, very very nice description ... finally someone who knows what white sand can be like. LOL.

6. Re: Beach Similar to Caribbean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 03:19