We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

Southern, Louisiana
Level Contributor
217 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

My husband and I have been separated for over a year and we have decided to meet, talk and see if we can make our marriage work. I want a location in Florida where it is romantic,things to do (hopefully beach area) that is not so expensive. We are both on unemployment and will use airmiles to fly there but hopefully will be a location we can walk on the beach, have a nice room, and be able to talk our troubles through. He is now on the east coast I am on the West Coast and Florida is somewhere we have been before. But this is a special thing so please please help me. Our travel date is in June.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

Sanibel Island would be my first suggestion for a romantic beach getaway. Beautiful long tropical beaches to walk on, gorgeous sunsets etc. There are some great little Old Florida style romantic places to stay; I can't recommend any because the place we stayed is no longer there. If you're interested in Sanibel, post a question about romantic accommodations on that forum and you should get some recommendations.

My best wishes to the two of you.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

Not certain, but since economy is an issue, wouldn't ther ebe some expense involevd in getting to Sanibel Island from any Airport? Not sure how easy it is to get a flight into Ft. Myers which would be closest but still involve some sort of transfer- and certainly transport from Tampa would be pricey- or , being from Florida's other coast, am i just not thinking it through properly. Maybe someone more familiar with that area than I can comment.

You may be able to find something on our coast by flying into FLL that will be a short taxi ride ( $15 from the airport or so)- not sure if you could do as well getting to Sanibel Island. Just thought I'd better mention that.

You have to drive across a bridge and pay a toll to get to Sanibel, but I don't recall specifics.

Southern, Louisiana
Level Contributor
217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

I will research Sanibal Island. Someone mentioned the following and I am curious if you all know about it.

Amelia Island and Key West. Are these nice places?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

Key West is beautiful but its not known for its beaches and its a fairly expensive place to visit.

How about the Sarasota area or Fort Myers Beach?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

We love the keys for romance. You needn't stay in Key West. Maybe midway in Marathon (Banana Bay resort is pretty and very affordable in June C 120.oo /per night.) Bahia Honda State Park is a great place for walks, talks and has a long beautiful beach with dunes at Sandspur. There's also a Banana Bay in Key WEst but we've never stayed at that one. There is a great beach in Key West Fort Zachary Taylor with walking paths, great breezes, outdoor sculptures at certain times.

WE always find cheap airfare into Miami or Fort Lauderdale and rent a car and its a pretty drive in the keys.

Good luck wherever you end up I wish you both success.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

Anyone who's been on the Florida forums for very long knows I love the Keys more than anywhere else, and yes Key West can be very romantic, my husband and I spent our honeymoon there, and last year our 20th anniversary. It is not a beach vacation however, and although we find good ways to eat and drink fairly inexpensively in KW, accommodations, and other things we enjoy: snorkeling, sunset sails, kayaking, etc. all add up. I've yet to find a cheap flight into KW, so the best bet is Miami or Fort Lauderdale and rent a car. Here's a link with some accommodation and other Keys discounts. http://www.fla-keys.com/KeysKash/

Another idea is South Beach Miami, it's not the laid back relaxing romantic beach like Sanibel, but the beaches are very nice, the Art Deco district is interesting and fun to explore, there area also water front cruises that are not too expensive. There's lots to do at night, nice sidewalk cafes,etc. If you flew into Miami or Fort Lauderdale you wouldn't need a car, which would be a money saver. You can eat fairly inexpensively if you do some research; generally Cuban restaurants are the least expensive and IMO some of the best food in Miami. Bookit.com has some great deals on hotels in the South Beach/Miami Beach areas. Kayak.com is also a good place to find discounted Miami hotels and/or hotels throughout Florida.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

I got an email today with this link to Miami specials...just thought I'd pass it along.

miami.bookit.com/…

Southern, Louisiana
Level Contributor
217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to Miami and had a bad incident of a purse snatch so for that reason I am ruling it out again. Key West sounds nice and I saw where there is a island off the mainland which is tied to a hotel but I can't locate which hotel it is tied to.

Ft. Myers seems ok to fly into if we do the sanibel thing.

What about Amelia Island or Marco Island. Are those expensive?>

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

Sanibel is my first recommendation, but it can be pricey.

Try Anna Maria Island -- wonderful beaches, quiet and laidback, and generally quiet and a little more wallet-friendly. It runs a close second for us.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,995 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where Do You Suggest For A Romantic Holiday

You may be thinking of Sunset Key which is an island with a hotel & restaurant right off Key West. It is very expensive. I think there are a couple other island resorts but none of them are cheap. June is a good time for the keys however as prices will be lower than the winter months. There are plenty of places to stay. Key West has many smaller hotel or bed / breakfast type places or as suggested further north in the keys, Islamorada or Marathon area are great places to stay.

The west coast of Fla will have more beach areas for long walks but I think the keys are more romantic.