We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

My fiance and I are cruising on the Oasis of the Seas this December, leaving from Port Everglades. We are coming a long way (26 hour drive from Canada!) and want to spend a couple of nights somewhere along the beach before our cruise.

We are torn between South Beach and Fort Lauderdale. We aren't exactly party animals, so the club scene in South Beach is not too appealing to us. We are more excited about renting jetskis, going for long walks on the beach and just relaxing.

We are leaning towards staying at the Hilton Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale.

I am just curious if anyone has any advice as to which location would be more enjoyable for an outdoorsy couple in their 20s? Which hotels do you recommend, and what other advice do you have for us?

Any comments are welcome! Thanks in advance for your help :)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

Also... are there a lot of jellyfish in the ocean in December?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,669 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

Late summer/early fall are generally the worst jellyfish seasons. Ther are a few variables, but I can't imagine them spoiling your vacation.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

I am not a DE for either but have visited both places and based on your description I would go to Lauderdale. I personally was not a fan of Miami but that doesn't make it bad, a lot of people LOVE IT. But, if you are wanting to relax Ft. Lauderdale would be a good match.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

Jellyfish are unlikely.

I've managed to avoid visiting Ft. Lauderdale's beach. They do have the unique Aquatics Center http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/flac/

South Beach is a pedestrian-oriented urban environment. Its architecture, parks, boardwalk, no-cars Lincoln Road, and museums make for an experience that might be just a little like a tropical Toronto.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

I get the impression that both of these locations are not considered prime vacation spots. Is there a reason? We will only be there for two nights as a prequel to the "real" vacation, but may reconsider if these beaches do not live up to their hype?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

Miami Beach, and the South Beach district in particular, is an extraordinarily sophisticated vacation or business-meeting destination. South Beach was distinctively developed with mostly moderately-priced hotels and apartment buildings during the Great Depression and through the 1940s. Thanks to a long period of stagnation, the area's distinctive Art Deco architecture has been preserved. There's nothing remotely similar elsewhere in the southeastern US or California.

Behind those vintage facades are often high-concept interiors, pool areas, and so forth.

But it's very much an urban resort area, as popular with Miami locals as with those fleeing the cold. Should you like a bit more low-key spot, Key Biscayne is a possibility with Crandon Park at the north and Cape Florida State Park at the south. Both are popular birding areas and the latter might have boat rentals.

7. Re: Fort Lauderdale VS South Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 07:17