We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

My husband and I are considering buying a condo somewhere in Florida. I know that is a very broad statement.

I just wonder if anyone has some great areas where they really like living. I think the Gulf Coast will be our choice so far.

We are currently vacationing in the Clearwater area and it seems to have a lot of potential, but I just want to be sure and look anywhere along the Gulf for gem of a place to live.

We would be looking to spend around $100,000. We would like an area that is safe, friendly and somewhat close to the water. We enjoy cultural things, live music, shopping and the beach.

Thanks for any advice!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

Before you leave take a drive along the barrier islands of Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Lido Key. Then cross over to the mainland and back on to Siesta Key.

And if it's not too far for you, you should visit Sanibel and Captiva off the coast of Ft. Myers and maybe Naples.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

Are you talking on island, or on the mainland and you'd go over a brdge to the beaches?

There won't be anything in your price range on island in the places that Chuts mentionned (which I agree are some of the best) but you might find something inland in Ft myers, Bradenton, Englewood perhaps.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

Amanx is quite right .... I missed the money amount. In fact you may be hard pressed to find a condo on the mainland at that price - unless it is in foreclosure or is very small. But if you do that drive, it may narrow down where you want to be nearby.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

I have a few relatives that live inland around Ft. Myers area (Estero) and like it very much. It is very residential and new, although that's not always a positive! The communities are for the most part, gated, which can be a positive or negative. (Meaning that an association takes care of landscaping, cable, trash, community pool and services for a quarterly fee). Parking is limited and while the homeowner will be taken care of it can sometimes be a problem for guests. Good luck on your search.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

This is just a guide for you.

When I bought my places in late Dec 2007, it was $200K furnished for a 3 bed pool home. At that time, 2 bed condos on the islands were going for $300-$400K. The market dropped further, and is now on the way up (slowly lol). I think Conods dropped a higher percent, but thos prices I showed you were after a huge drop already.

as a test I went to an mls site and did a search of Sarasota county for condos from 90K- $125K.

There was a one bed ground floor for sale on island for $125K, 594 sq ft, built in 1973 with shared pool newly renovated but on a short sale. Just inland i saw a 2 bed 1200 sq ft built in 2007 for $118K. So there are a few things for you to look at, even on island is your bedget is flexible. Go have a look!

http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

Thanks for the good info and link to mls.

I was wondering if you or anyone else knows anything about the areas around Clearwater like Largo. We have been looking around this area and wonder if there are any thoughts about the areas just across the causeways in south clearwater.Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

No, I have been to Clearwater before (years ago though) and didn't like it at all. But if you do, have a look- why not?

All my house hunting was done in the Orlando area and the Gulf coast area from Sarasota to Englewood.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

Largo has some decent condo complexes. You must have a look personally before you commit though.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

You could take a look at Marco Island. Very good prices on some condos still. The island is wonderful. Try it. You will love it.

10. Re: Best place for a vacation condo in Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:15