We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

cornwall
Level Contributor
2 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

My wife and our 7 year old son are going on our first trip abroad in September after 10 years of marriage and have chosen DisneyWorld as our destination.We simply cannot wait for it to come around.We are staying in the Whyndam Orlando Resort Hotel on International Drive.Basically i would appreciate any advice on how to get the best out of our two week stay as i have been told that there is so much to do.We have booked our park tickets which is the one pass to all of them.The only thing definately booked so far as days out is concerned is A dolphin swim at Discovery Cove on the middle Saturday for us all. Thanks for any help or advice

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

You're right there is so much to do, particularly if you want to get value out of the tickets you have bought.

Suggest a bit of planning needed e.g which parks do you definately want to do versus those that you don't mind not doing - a park every day can be hard work and a couple of rest days by the pool or shopping is a good idea.

Each park is a very full day so suggest don't worry about hopping from one to another.

Info on which days are busiest at which park is available at web sites like below ( no need to pay for info, just wait until the month before you go for the info to show for free ). For example, typically Magic Kingdom is busiest on Sundays and all parks are busiest when they have things like Extra Magic Hours or special events. Avoid these days if poss.

You are staying near to a wide variety of restaurants, some very cheap (and nasty ), a lot of mid range and pretty good, and some really good quality ones (particularly on Sand Lake Road ) .

Have you hired a car ? Definately worth doing to get the best out your time there.

Discovery Cove is a really good choice - lovely relaxing place.

www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php…

cornwall
Level Contributor
2 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

Thx Anna Maria, no we have not hired a car simply bacause it is our first time and we would both be a bit nervous about driving abroard, the travel also said that the transport links are very good.Universal is something that i particularly want to do although the Magic Kingdom is pretty high on the list for all of us

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

Great idea to book a day at Discovery Cove...I took my two grandsons when they were a bit older than your son and they had a marvelous time. The admission tickets to DC also included a second day at SeaWorld which they also enjoyed a great deal.

I think you would find an abundance of ideas if you were to post your inquiry specifically on the "Orlando" forum rather than here on the general "Florida" forum. There are also other resources there that could help you with your planning.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,519 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

Look at www.allears.net for some more Disney info. The suggestion to post on the Orlando forum is good as you will find lots of great info there. Also to let you know early Sept is still very hot here. Late Sept we get some cooler weather and we usually have some rain during this month. Many people go to the parks early, take a break in the afternoon for a couple hours & then go back in the evening. If you can go during mid week rather than weekend it will be less crowded. Have a great vacation. I think you will really enjoy.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,082 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

Planning a visit to Orlando can become as elaborate and maybe excessive as doing a grand tour of British or European cultural sites. The resoruces mentionedd by bornwithwheels are useful, as are published guide books. In this area, your son can reasonably go through the listings and pick out what's interesting.

It's useful to benefit from other peoples' experiences to avoid wasting money or time (or missing really good stuff in favor of not-so-good). But the theme parks are not terribly complicated and you'll have adequate time to enjoy them without highly detailed planning. In fact, the vagaries of September weather (thunderstorms and possible blustery tropical waves or depressions) encourage a degree of flexibility.

Being a Florida resident, I'm not up on the tour bus industry. They can be quite rewarding. You can also use local bus service (LYNX) to visit Orlando. The Science Center is probably no better than equivalents in the UK, but something good might be playing on the IMAX screen.

http://www.osc.org/

Since it looks as though you're from Cornwall, where the tides make lifeguarding challenging (I'm told more so than in Australia), it would seem appropriate to get a look at a beach or two. I'm at a loss as to how to do that without a rental car, but I'm certain day bus trips are available to Clearwater, perhaps to the city of Cape Canaveral.

Edited: 03 March 2010, 03:52
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,796 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

I would move your questions and comments to the Orlando forum where you will find loads of hints and tips to make your holiday a sucess.

And yers, it is very very easy to drive in the USA- much easier than in Britain.

7. Re: This is my first post and i would like some advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 05:19