We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

Lakeland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
236 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

My wife and I & my daughter have been to Florida for vacation during the last 4 summers. We typically do 2 days in the Orlando area and do 2 theme parks while there. We then typically drive the 1.5-hour drive to Treasure Island (between St. Pete / Clearwater) and stay about 4 days there.

If we go back to Florida this year, we're thinking of doing some different theme parks in the Orlando area that we haven't been to before for 2 days, but would like to go to a different beach area of Florida this time around just to see / do something new.

Any suggestions at all? We've never been further South in Florida than St. Pete Beach, so somewhere below there sounds interesting, and likely on the Gulf Side since I believe the water is typically warmer on that side?

Will have to be somewhere that has some things to do for an almost-6-year-old little girl... can't be just a pretty beach w/nothing else to see/do.

Thanks for any suggestions!

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

We usually go to St Petes Beach, however last year we tried Fort Myers Beach instead. The drive is a bit long, but it's worth the trip. I don't know what your budget is like, but The Pink shell is great for kids.

http://www.pinkshell.com

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,980 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

Anna Maria Island would be great. Not far from St pete in miles but is totaly great for families. Only an extra half hour 45 mins south.

And you have the GWiz science Museum in Sarasota and the Mote aquarium not far away. If Wointer you could see the manatee's in the rivers. Not so much in summer, but I usualy see dolphins form the beach then. And the Mote has boat nature trips.

Is shell collecting her thing? If so, Staying on Sanibel Island would be fantastic. Like AMI is family friendly, not huge numbers of people, great beaches with top class shelling and lots of places to eat, things to doand nature to watch. Abt 3.5 hours away from Orlando

Lakeland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

Anyone have any opinions on the Naples, FL area for a 6-year-old?

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

Take a look at Marco Island. Our kids love it there. We have been taking them there for a number of years now. The island is very family friendly. You will see families in the restaurants on the island. Our kids like to bike on the island. You can rent bikes from the island bike shop and they even deliver and pick up. Our kids love to shell on the island too including looking for (and finding) sand dollars. You can fish from the beach. There are waverunner tours available, kayak rentals, fishing charters, swimming pools, etc. You will often see dolphins and manatees swimming in the gulf waters. The sunsets and sunrises are breathtaking. The beach is long and wide.

Lakeland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

Thanks for the ongoing posts... keep 'em coming if more of you have additional recommendations... you're giving us some great ideas to check into!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,980 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

I have stayed in the naples and marco area with that age of child ( 3 of them in fact).

All 3 are good, But IMHO, for that age the Sarastoa, AMI, areas have far more to offer.

But in reality, the 6 yr old isn't paying. Go where you want to go and prioritse your activities and location accordingly to suit the 6 yr old.

7. Re: Suggestions for New Florida Destination in June w/6-yr Old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 07:17