We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach or Marco Island?

Lakeland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach or Marco Island?

Okay, to help narrow this down a bit, if we were to consider going to one of the three main destinations (posted above) that many people have recommended us to check into, is there anything you can inform us on that (in your minds) would be a deciding factor on choosing one destination over the other?

Anything to do once again for our daughter that will be approaching 6 years old at the time of the visit at one place excessively over another? We're not looking for a thrill-a-minute type of situation, but like most everyone, we all eventually get burned-out playing on the beach and in the ocean day-to-day, & when that happens, it's nice to know that there are some places to go see and activities to do to carry us through the rest of the day.

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,942 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach or Marco Island?

Well, I suppose it all depends on what you consider to be appropriate activites to 'carry you thru'.

Without question in my mind Sanibel would be the best place to go with a decerning 6 yr old. Great beaches, great shelling, bike rentals, walking places with mom and dad rather than relying on a car, god casual restaurants. But it does come with a cost (which I think is fair).

FMB will have rainy day malls and things to do of all types. It will have a bright lights big city feel that your 6 yr old might like.

Marco Island (my second choice of your 3) would be good too, but it is a car place in the most part- not a walking around to dinner and the beach (all though possible depending on where you stay) as it is bigger and a differnt shape of island. It is perfectly nice (and being farther south has better water temps in winter) and I would recommend it as a place to go. All 3 places are nice to visit.

But of your 3 Sanibel might be my choice- but it all depends on your budget per night. My recommendations might change on the comparison of your budget with your dates.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach or Marco Island?

Well, we walk everywhere on Marco Island. So, it depends on where you stay. I believe this analysis would apply almost anywhere you decide to go. No matter where you stay, if you stay off the beaten path, you will need a car.

The Marco Island beach is great. There is also great shelling there. Biking the island is fun. There is also good casual dining on Marco--all are family friendly. There are many rental options on March: beach front condo; inland condo; gulf front condo; beach front hotels (Marriott, Hilton and Marco Beach Ocean Resort), beautiful homes on a canal with gourmet kithcen, private pool, privatge dock for fishing and hot but and very often within walking distance to the great beach.

From Marco Island, you can take a short drive to the Everglades. My kids loved to do this. They enjoyed seeing the wildlife, especially the alligators. They also really liked the boat trip in the Everglades.

From the Marco Island beach, you can take a jet ski tour (VERY fun--my kids like this so much); rent a kayak; go on a parasailing adventure.

Marco has a movie theatre that helps pass time if you happen to experience any rain.

You can go to Jack's Lookout on Marco to watch the fishing boats come in after being on the water all day. My kids loved doing this. It is also common to see dolphins and manatees swimming just off the beach.

Sanibel is also a great choice. We recently visited there for a couple days. My only beef with Sanibel is the traffic during the busy season. You will not see a police officer directing traffic on Marco during peak season. There was an officer on Sanibel doing this when we visited a couple weeks ago. No need for it on Marco. That being said, if you choose Sanibel, you will not regret the decision. It is beautiful there and offers many of the same fun things as Marco.

Lakeland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach or Marco Island?

Someone asked about travel dates... it would be around the middle of June this year...

I've heard / read a lot of buzz on the Pink Shell in Ft. Myers... any comments?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach or Marco Island?

If it matters to you, it will cost you $6 to cross the bridge to get to Sanibel. So if you have to come back to the mainland for any reason it will be another $6 to get back to Sanibel.

5. Re: Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach or Marco Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 07:18