We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming safety

Brighton
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
swimming safety

We are an english family who will be spending 2 weeks in florida in october this year. The first week will be in Orlando at theme parks, the second week we are still deciding. In the past we have been to Captiva Island and loved every minute. This year we are maybe going back there but also considering a new experience and thinking of Cocoa beach.

Our boys will be 7, 9 and 11 and have got experience of waves (Cornwall surfing waves and Atlantic Canary Island waves). My Dad has told me that the Atlantic coast in Florida can be very dangerous.

The last time we were in Captiva was 3 years ago and there were hurricanes nearby which made very big waves. The kids loved it but at times we thought it was too dangerous as there were undercurrents.

Any information on safety/lifeguards etc would be really helpful.

Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming safety

I think you could be disappointed to go from Captiva to Cocoa beach.

In any case, certain areas of the atlantic coast can have riptides and aren't as safe for swimming as some other places. but as far as I know, Cocoa Beach is fine. I would ask this on their forum.

What are looking for in a beach, apart from lifeguards? What else are you looking for? What time of year?

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming safety

Marco Island is a wonderful family vacation beach destination. You should consider taking a look there. My kids swim the gulf waters without an issue. Unless there is a storm though there will not be huge waves. We believe the beach to be very safe. There are no lifeguards on duty though. The shelling is great. The biking on the island is great. You boys are of the age that they would love to take a jet ski tour--a favorite of our kids.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming safety

All public beaches must have lifeguards .... your kids will enjoy the one at Cocoa Beach. If it is too dangerous to swim there will be a red flag flying at the lifeguard hut - but still safe enough to enjoy the water's edge for skim boarding. Have they ever tried that?

Edited: 20 June 2010, 18:43
Brighton
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming safety

Thanks for the replies

I will have a look at Marco Island.

5. Re: swimming safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 05:17