We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for family friendly beach?

Folso, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go for family friendly beach?

I am flying into Tampa and have one spare week now since our plans have changed and need to figure out where to go!

We are visiting Orlando for 9 days and that is all set, but I have from May 28th-June 5th to go somewhere! This is a last minute change, we had planned to go to the keys, but my hubby thought the drive was too far.

I will be travelling with my hubby, an 18 month old and an 8 year old.

Our kiddos want to be close to a sandy (not too shelly) beach and/or a really nice pool, I was thinking of the gulf side since the waves are supposed to be calmer. My hubby wants to be able to walk along the beach to restaurants and/or bars so we don't have to drive all the time and I want the hotel to be new enough or updated enough it doesn't bother my allergies and be very clean. Prefer a pool and an outdoor jacuzzi.

I started looking at Marco Island and it sounds nice, but very built up, any thoughts?.

I looked at Siesta key, and the beaches sound great, but we can't afford the Hyatt and none of the other hotels appealed to us at first glance.

Any thoughts on Captiva or Sanibel Island?

Any other places to consider? Naples, Fort Myers?

Jenn

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for family friendly beach?

You looking way too far from Disney .... any of the beach communities from Clearwater Beach south to St. Pete Beach would work for you. Read the CB forum for ideas on where to stay. And look at a Florida map to see the other places south: Indian Rocks Beach, Reddington Beach, Treasure Island, etc.

All these will be about 1.5 hours drive from Disney.

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for family friendly beach?

Clearwater, I think there is a resort that has a lazy river running around the area it may not be too pricey. It is Memorrial day weekend holiday so it will be crowded everywhere.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for family friendly beach?

As Chuts said, you should look at the Pinellas County Beaches (St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island, Madeira Beach, Redington Beach, Redington Shores, North Redington Beach, Indian Shores, Indian Rocks Beach, Sand Key and Clearweater Beach). You probably would like either Clearwater Beach or St, Pete Beach best. There is a Beach Trolley, a bus really, run by PSTA that runs from Pass-a-Grille on the south to Clearwater Beach on the north.

Make your decision soon as you as looking at the Memorial Day weekend, so you need to make reservations soom to be sure of accommodations.

4. Re: Where to go for family friendly beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 01:18