We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

As we are looking to stay somewhere on the gulf coast -not too busy . Lots of places are ideal when places are for 6 + so we are now looking at somewhere where prices are not as expensive as Sanibel as it is for 2 weeks in Feb when prices are at a premium. But dont want to be at a "Blackpool" like area

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,585 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

Try Venice, Anna Maria Island, Nokomis, Manasota Key. Passe a Grille maybe.

Do you want on island condo only or if you want a 3 bed pool home inland try Bradenton, Venice, Englewood/Rotonda, Bonita Springs, Naples too.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

Normally we would just book a flight and travel about . If we like somewhere we stay of not we move on. but my husband just wants to go and stay put this time. so on my head be it. I am not intending to do any cooking although I may make a sandwich or snack as 2-3 weeks of eating out we will be be ready for not such big meals every day. So dont know whether hotel would suit better than s/c would prefer beach front as there is only the 2 of us and we need a bedroom and a bathroom . not a lot more Any advise is appreciated

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,585 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

Rentals actually work out cheaper per night than hotels in season. Beachfront ones will be expensive.

Try Holiday Inn Lido Key, Lido Key beach resort.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

Thank you for this I have had a look at it . I should have said small place etc My husband would not set foot in anything like that -sorry to sound so ungrateful .

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,585 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

then you probably want a rental. Maybe you should reconsider that.

To find the older, smaller hotels/motels on the beach you will have to go to a more built up area that has ones from the 60s, 70s etc that haven't been knocked down and replaced with condos. Try Clearwater, St pete beach, passe a grille maybe and I know there are a few really nice ones east in the Hollywood area and Ft Lauderdale.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

try Anna Maria Island ( have a look at some of my Florida posts ) , it was really lovely . Palm Tree Villas was a perfect small rental, have a look at their tripadvisor reviews, all raving !

I also wanted to go to Sanibel/Captiva and did go for the day , looked at 6 or more hotels in person but for some odd reason it did not draw me in, Captiva was the nicer of the two and was glad that someone on the Florida forum mentioned Anna Maria Island as not too touristy with to die for beaches, nice restaurants, no high rises, Old Florida feel, easy to get around and even possible to do day trips to Sarasota or Tampa if you want some city life.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,585 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

terminal,

that is where I want to send them, but they are resiting rentals. And want a beach front hotel for a good price? But dont want a big place?

It is a bit hard when people's wants and needs don't fit reality in the way they expect.

8. Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to Sanibel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 07:17