We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida Weather in July - how bad?

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Topic
Florida Weather in July - how bad?

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I were planning a trip to Florida first two weeks of July. We'll be in the keys for 3-4 days and then all around Florida pretty much.

Now, I have heard some pretty bad news about Florida wrt the hurricane season. Its predicted that there will be above normal rains, and also around 15 storms as opposed to the average 10 or so.

Even in this situation, is it going to be too bad? If rains spoil 2-3 days I dont really mind, but more than that and I have to seriously reconsider. Also I don't mind 2 hr afternoon showers which seems to be the norm. Please advise!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

Hurricane season tends to be at its peak in Sept-Oct

In July its very possible that you will get heavy afternoon showers (often with thunder and lightning )

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

^Yes, but those would be for an hour or two in the afternoon right? Which is not that bad.. Would there be days where it rains or is overcast throughout?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

The sun normally shines and the sky is blue (and its hot )

But in the afternoon when its really hot and steamy the clouds appear and it possibly rains ! (normally around 3-5 pm )

I will be there in late July myself -I would not go all that way if I thought there would be a hurricane or it was going to be overcast -like London !

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

The number (of predicted storms) is what they think will form IN the Atlantic ocean. It doesn't mean that all of those will come towards Florida. Hopefully none will ......... knock wood.

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

I always find August and September the most uncomfortable months. However, if you stay close to the shores, there is usually always a breeze (at least on the east coast). As already stated, we do get brief afternoon showers that pass quickly. July is a bit early for hurricanes, but has been known to happen.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

The only bad thing about July is the heat and humidity. Unless you are going to Orlando and then you would have a hug crowd problem.

If not doing theme parks, but being a beach/water bum then July is most bearable near or on the coast. So the keys or a beach area is best. But July/Aug are too hot for me, so even though I have a home there, I never go then.

Rain will be PM thunderstorms, unless there is a tropical depression in which case you can get longer spells of rain. And if something like that comes up, you can always head inland to theme parks lol.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

All day rain or overcast conditions are just not typical of summer- hot, humid and afternoon thunderstorms ( often heavy but of fairly short duration) is much more typical- and happily the storms often correspond with happy hour prices in the bars. We make our annual trek to Key West for three or four days every July or August and I cannot remember any of those trips in the last 30 years that have had enough rain to be memorable for it.

Anything can happen with weather of course, but it would certainly not be typical if you were rained out on your trip- if you can handle heat and humidity ( beers and margaritas help) , I think you'll be fine.

8. Re: Florida Weather in July - how bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 18:19