We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After landing at Orlando//

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
After landing at Orlando//

on a Thursday we would be heading to the Keys on Friday .Any suggestion where to stay -not Miami- a hour or two south from Orlando airport -just to get rid of some miles . Also if we flew into Sanford also an hour or so south of there just a stop over for the night .Area and hotel please

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After landing at Orlando//

If flying into MCO I would either stay nearby the airport, in the south end of Idrive or at DTD (the last two giving you a start to your holiday with some food and fun). With jety lag, it is a false economy to drive south at all. you'd be taking the FL turnpike, so would not have a lot of options to stop.

If you feel you must, then stay in ST coud near the FL trunpike entrance.

When I do this, I stay in the DTD area so we can eat out by foot, as we know we will be up and gone from the hotel before 6am with our jet lag. This way we get a fun jump start to our holiday rather than bunking down on a cheap airport hotel with nothing fun nearby. You will be arriving in the afternoon, and by the time you clear customs and get your car it could be 8pm-10pm for your bobdy and driving very far isn't a great idea.

If flying into Sanford I migh suggest stay in Cocoa Beach or drive towards the turnpike.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After landing at Orlando//

Thank you. I think we landed about 3pm us time if we fly into Orlando I will be so glad to get this holiday sorted as it takes too much time planning. My ideal would be to jump on a plane that I had chosen about 2 weeks before .Hopped off the plane and found somewhere as we went but at this time of year I know it isn't possible

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After landing at Orlando//

You also need your first night accomodation address for your API for your airline. the days of foreigners turning up by plane w/o a reservation are long gone ;-)

In your case you land at 3, you will be out of the airport and in your car by say 4-4:30 pm which is 8-8:30 pm to your body. 30 mins to south IDrive (at say the Rosen Pointe Orlando) or a DTD hotel (try hotwire for a good price) will be a fun choice. Check in and walk out the door to Dinner, Yes it is in the wrong direction for the turnpike but will start your holiday off with a bang rather than a damp squib. I do this all the time if arriving into MCO and going elsewhere in FL.

4. Re: After landing at Orlando//

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 04:18