We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando to the Panhandle

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando to the Panhandle

Hi everyone

Planning a road trip in Feb, from Orlando towards Crystal Springs, Cedar Quay to Tallahassee total of eight days. Like to stay off the interstate and see some 'real' Florida. any info on where to see, what to do, motels and bars where the locals eat/drink would be appreciated.

quinner

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,849 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

I would go to the individual city forums on your route. If I was going that way I'd use the interstate and drive in in a few hours, not 8 days. So only thoise who live there will know.

Ocala is known for horses if that helps? There are springs and manatees to see as well at Crystal River.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

Thanks Amanx, we are on a touring holiday and in no real hurry. Just want see around that area and head back to the beaches at Clearwater for the last few days.

quinner

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,849 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

Well the beaches of the panhandle could be worth a look ( your ourte suggested inland only).

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

A few things that I know of that you may enjoy.

In Homosassa Springs:

Homosassa State Wildlife Park.

Have a Cuban sandwich at the Museum Cafe.

A meal, or drinks at the Homosassa Riverside Resort. Overlooking the river, and Monkey Island http://www.riversideresortsbanquet.com/

Swim with manatees, or just a river cruise in Homosassa, or Crystal River.

Cedar Key

Don Garlits' drag racing museum in Ocala.

Panhandle beaches.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

Thanks guys, great suggestions, keep them coming !

quinner

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

Another thing to do is get a map of Florida (hope you're one of those who can still read a paper map, lol) and use the tertiary roads (not primary or secondary) which are the ones indicated by the thin black lines, to get from A to B. Doing so will take you to and through some very small towns (the real Florida) some without any traffic lights or even a McDonalds restaurant - now that's being really "out of it".

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

Cedar Key is very much off the beaten path. No way to get there on a major interstate. Some people think it is great, other people ... well, not so much (I am a not so much person). It is a very small community. It is not a place for beaches (more like coastal mud flats), more for fishing. It is okay for a day visit (again my opinion).

Cyrstal River is larger and it's main claim to fame, is seeing Manatees.

Please remember that in February the Panhandle will be cool, if not cold.

South of Tallahasse is St. Marks Lighthouse and also St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. You might also like to visit Wakulla Springs State Park.

Ok, the route from Cedar Key to Tallahassee is US Hwy 19 (not the interstate) but this a really long boring stretch of road.

The good beach areas of the Panhandle begin around Panama City Beach and go west.

About a month ago you asked a similar question and it was suggested that you head south to warmer areas of the state in February. So if I may ask; what is it you want to see in Tallahassee?

Go to Naples or Sanibel Island or Ft. Lauderdale - it will be warmer. And isn't that why you are coming to Florida?

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

From Crystal River go North on 98 and you can get to Tallahassee, and then on into the Panhandle. Will take "forever" but scenery is wonderful. Personally, I might take Turnpike to 75 to 10 West into Panhandle, and then maybe come back on 98 and do the slow route back around the Panhandle, and then down into Clearwater!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

Just to avoid confusing you US Hwy 98 and 19 are the same road between about Homosassa Springs to Perry.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Miles and miles of Florida scrub woods with small towns few and far between are not scenic in my mind, esp between Inglis and Perry.

However Hwy 98 is more scenic when it is hugging the coast from about St. Marks westward.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando to the Panhandle

Donna, have spent plenty of time down in Naples, Fort Myers. Not really a beach bum, coming from Ireland anything above 62 is good for us in February. just want to see some real Florida - really appreciate your suggestions, many thanks.

quinner