We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Topic
Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

My eighty-eight year old mother would like to see the ocean once more. I am not familiar with appropriate beach destinations, so hope you can help me.

She is in fairly good health, but walking long distances wouldn't be good.

She likes Action!, not shelling or lying in a hammock.

I prefer a hotel as opposed to a self-catering situation, and a little luxury is in order.

We can travel any time starting in April, but I would like to avoid crowds.

The other requirement is somewhere easy to get to . My days of difficult itineraries are gone (I used to think that was fun! lol)

Thanks for your ideas!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,380 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

The nearest place with a decent beach would be in the Florida Panhandle area - Pensacola to Panama City and everywhere in between.

Check which city you can easily fly into from where you are (your profile doesn't say where in OK you are) and read the forum for those cities to get ideas on where to stay.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

Thanks, AhHah.

(My parents met and were married in Tampa. A whirlwind wartime romance and marriage that lasted 68 years until my dad's recent death.)

We would fly out of Oklahoma City, so all major airports would be feasible. I just don't want to do a lot of driving after landing or complicated things such as driving and taking a ferry.

Thank you for replying!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

The beach front hotels in Fort Lauderdale are all only a 10-15 min taxi from the Airport- We have a Ritz, a Hilton All Suite and a high end oceanfront Marriott , among others and lots to do and a lively population of seniors who live here . We have a Water Taxi which is a fun transportation system for those who don't want to walk ( hop on and off all day for $20) I think you should add FLL to your list.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,380 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

I cannot imagine what Tampa was like 68 years ago. We've been here only 27 years and there have been many changes in those years. I hope your mother has a very enjoyable time wherever you choose to go.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

Thanks very much, Lulu and AhHah.

I will look into your suggestions which I appreciate very much.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

I would suggest Fort Myers Beach , for a upscale resort I would suggest The Pink Shell Beach Resort. After I had back surgery I found FMB and it was just the ticket, I couldn't do alot of walking so we stayed mid-island and our condo was right on the beach, no walking and at night we went to the northern part of the island to Times Square, TS has restaurants, and shops and great for people watching.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

Thanks, Daisey, for the suggestion!

8. Re: Best destination for trip with elderly mother?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 10:23