We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida Christmas 2012

Isle of Man, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Florida Christmas 2012

We are thinking about taking the kids to Florida for Christmas 2012, but we have never been before so have no idea on where to stay , is hotel or villa best, car hire or not, what part of Florida to stay in. Kids will be 5 & 2. We definetly want to see Disney World, Animal Kingdom & Sea World. I think the kids will be too little for the other parks?? But thinking that we may not stay just around the International Drive area, & try to see some other sites? A few friends (who seem to be Disney obsessed) say to just do the parks, but I just don't know?! Please help! We would be looking at travelling around 20th December for 2 weeks.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,491 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

Since it's for 2 weeks, consider staying on Disney property for one week to do the Disney parks then on I-Drive for the other week to do the other places.

If the kids get cranky while on Disney property it is easy to head back to your place for a short rest and then come back out later.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

Maybe spend one week in Orlando at Disney and one week at the beach (Clearwater / St Petersburg). Busch Gardens in Tampa is another great theme park (owned by the same company as Sea World so you can get 2 park tickets)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,869 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

The biggest problem for you is that Xmas is the busiest time of the year, and the most expensive. With a 5 and 2 yr old, school shouldn't be a problem and I would choose another time- even Oct or Feb half term as well as Easter. Actually, if you could go before xmas incl up to say the 22nd, you would have the best of both worlds in lower prices and crowds, but stillt he chrotmas decorations and special events will be there.

The parks are VERY busy xmas week, and even close due to overcapacity, esp MK. DW is 4 parks incl AK, I assume you meant magic Kingdom? there are other things to see and do for that age even in DHS and esp Epcot. But let the number of tickets you want to buy guide you. Waterparks are also good as it can be warm that time of year and the water is heated.

If you do decide to do this, I agree staying at Disney one week is a good idea and you can stya in a villa the other week (opr a condo at the beach). You will need to drive a car if you want to stay in a villa and visit the coast though.

You will have to make a plan, involving lots of info gathering to make an xmas time trip a sucess for a first timer due to the crowds.

Go on over the the DW and orlando forums and ask. You can alos scroll back or search for trip reports from this christmas to see how others coped witht he crowds.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 11:16
Essex
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

Hi there,

My family and I are going back to Florida for Christmas & New Year again this year. This will be the third time over the past 6 years... WE LOVE IT!!

We arrive in Orlando on the 13th December & leave on the 4th January. Staying at Disneys Port Orleans, Riverside. The hotel is superb with all the ammenities you could ask for, the kids (twins of 14) have a blast!

Staying on Disney is great, you dont feel like your missing out on Christmas even in the warm weather that it usually is.

I would definitely recommend staying in a Disney Hotel, for the amenities and for the free transportation to all Disney parks... its brill!!

If you want any further help just send me an email and I would be glad to help you...

Edited: 04 July 2012, 13:28
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

Hi me and my family are flying to orlando on boxing day and just wondered with you being there a few times in december what is the weather usually like ? Thanks.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

Its hard to predict Florida weather, last year was very warm at Christmas, other years I have seen it freeze. Might be able to tell a little more once it gets closer to December.

Save Reply
7. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

I believe it was very warm last xmas hopefully it will be the same this year but i will pack warmer clothes just incase. Thanks for your reply.

8. Re: Florida Christmas 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 10:17