We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo non driving holiday in Florida

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo non driving holiday in Florida

Hi all

I am thinking about going to Florida for a week in early september but would appreciate thoughts on where I could go for a relaxed solo holiday where I wouldn't have to drive but would be able to do some shopping as well as lie by the pool.

Any help appreciated

Norway
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo non driving holiday in Florida

Hi RanchyB

I would suggest Fort Lauderdale. You will find a nice beach, lots of nice restaurants, great hotels and a nice mall called Galleria mall. You can walk to all of this exept to the mall you might want to take the bus, (we do every time we are there.) You can also take nice boat trips on the canal. We enjoy Fort Lauderdale a lot, its not as busy as Miami beach, but plenty to do and see.

Enjoy your vacation!

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo non driving holiday in Florida

What would you like to do in Florida besides shop and pool ? how about the Beach, theme parks, shows, history ( there were cowboys in Florida 200 years before the American West, Old cities, or resorts, and what time of year? St. Augustine, Naples, Miami, Key west, Orlando ( with buses) are all walkable cities too.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,778 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo non driving holiday in Florida

I agree that FT Lauderdale, or Miami Beach could b e good for you. Other areas like Key West are perfect for solo holidays w/o a car, but shopping is limited to the small shops in town. If you need malls, you'll need to stick to urban areas with good public transport options.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo non driving holiday in Florida

Ft. Lauderdale & Miami are probably the 2 cities you could fly into and get around by public transport without a problem. You would have great beaches, shopping, dining and nite life. Most other places you would have to fly into another city and find transport to the area. Such as fly into Jacksonville and get transport to St. Augustine, or fly into Tampa and get transport to Clearwater / St. Pete Beach. Orlando is an option only if you don't want beaches. We don't have good public transport between cities. Look at google maps or mapquest to see cities you may be interested in visiting.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo non driving holiday in Florida

Thanks for all your replies. I have been to Florida a few times with my ex and done lots of things but this is really about getting some down time and maybe even do some pre-Christmas shopping! Fort Lauderdale looks like it might be a good option so am now going to investigate further.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

6. Re: Solo non driving holiday in Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:41