We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child booster seats

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Child booster seats

We are hiring a car from Alamo next weekend and I have been advised that I may not be abl to use our chid booster seat if it doesn't conform to USA regulations. Has anyone come across this?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child booster seats

ASk ont he forum you will be renting in (Orlando?) but I have used UK booster seats w/o problems there. Pretty sure european ones will conform. But check your manufacturer's website to be sure.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child booster seats

Bring your own seat. Child will be more comfortable, you'll save money and you'll know it's clean. There have been multiple discussions on the forum about people bringing their own seats. If you do a search on car seats or booster seats you'll see them.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child booster seats

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child booster seats

Florida state law only requires kids up to age 5 to use a child restraint.

So - in case you get pulled over - the officer will most likely be satisfied with seeing your child in a booster seat and he most likely won't check if that booster seat is US approved. There is like no difference between booster seats from different countries anyway.

If your booster seat is too bulky you could also buy a new booster seat at a local store in FL (e.g. ToysRus or Target) those will be brand new and way cheaper than renting a booster seat and even US approved....but if you can bring your own, just bring it. ;)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child booster seats

To make sure you understand my post correclty:

Of course I don't want to say that your children don't need a booster seat when they are 6 and older. They don't...by law but regarding the safety they need one for another couple of years. I'm just trying to say that an officer will probably be surprised to see older children in booster seats and won't care if they are US approved or not.

By the way, when your children are 6 years or older you can use any booster seat you want in Florida, even by law, since they aren't require to have one anymore.

Just wanted to point that out, because the first sentence of my first post might have been a little bit confusing.

6. Re: Child booster seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 06:16