We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando safety

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando safety

My husband will be on business in Orlando for a week. All the stuff I can find online seems to say Orlando is a very high crime area, especially if you leave the 'tourist' areas. I am a late 50s women, wondering how safe I'll be on my own. Will I need a vehicle or is it safe to walk as I do in my hometown of Sydney? should I stay near the university, where my husband will be working or in the downtown area? hope I can get some uptodate info and advice.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando safety

What's the name of the street where your husband plans to stay? The university - I take it that it's the University of Central Florida - is about 15 miles East and a little North of the main Orlando area. So I wouldn't recommend the Orlando downtown area.

There are a few hotels on University Blvd that are within a couple miles of the university. Wouldn't your husband's office be putting him up in one of them?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,362 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando safety

If you are staying near UCF and want to go shopping you will need a car. The Florida Mall, Outlet Malls and Millineum Mall are not in walking distance of each other. There is a bus system so that may work for you to.

There are some areas of Orlando that are not so great. The area near the Citrus Bowl is one of them and the north end of Orange Blossum Trail near I-4 is not so great either. Downtown, Church Street area, I-Drive all have plenty of people walking around. Daytime is usually safe in most areas. Use standard safety precautions and you should be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando safety

He will be working at a business on Challeger Parkway, near what Google maps shows as University of Phoenix. His work will basically put him/us up where we want to be, that's why I was wondering if it was best to be downtown so I could wander around the museums, galleries, parks and he gets himself to the business by hire car or taxi or the other way around and I need to find my own way around the city.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando safety

You'll be almost next door to the University of Central Florida. Completely safe and I'd say stay in that area as there is plenty to do since UCF is an extremely large school. Also your husband's commute each day would be much easier if you stay near where he'll be working. Traffic in Orlando can be pretty brutal. If you want to shop you could go to Waterford Lakes Town Center which has a lot of shops and restaurants. The public bus system over there is pretty decent so you could do that. Also you're right next to Oveido which is a cute little town. And you could go over to Winter Park which has a town square shopping area and is very cute as well. You might need a car to get to Winter Park. I'm not as familiar with that bus route.

Downtown Orlando is safe enough but it isn't exactly an area I would send someone to unless they wanted to party or go to a concert. There are some nice hotels downtown but if you think you might not feel safe (although I think you would be) then you'd be comfortable by UCF. You could go to Lake Eola with is beautiful and relaxing. It is downtown but plenty populated during the day and you'd be safe to go down there to read or exercise.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 04:06
5. Re: Orlando safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 10:17