We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather & where to stay

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weather & where to stay

I'm looking at doing an Amtrak vacation in the USA next year. The idea is to stay in New York (4 nights), Washington (1 night), Savannah (2 nights), Jacksonville (2 nights) & then on to a destination in Florida (7-10 nights, depending on cost).

We're a couple in our 30's and are looking to stay somewhere which has a good beach, reasonable hotel prices, nice restaurants. Not interested in clubbing and drinking but would like to stay somewhere which has a good atmosphere. Although we might stop in Orlando to visit Disney World, I don't think we want to stay in this area for the full duration of our Florida stay.

I realise the hurricane season is officially 1 June - 30 November. Sorry to be completely naive, but are there any beach resorts in Florida which are less exposed to storms/hurricanes which meet my criteria above?

Finally.....I know the weather between New York and Florida is very different. For your suggestions, could you let me know when the best time to visit is?

Many thanks,

Gemma

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,796 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather & where to stay

2 nights in JAx but only one in t he Nations Capital (with loads of FREE things to do?). Madness in my humble opinion.

Anyway, will you have a car once you reach the end of the train? You'll need one for most beach towns.

Beachfront anywhere in FL wont be cheap, but if you are happy to drive to a beach you'll find thing cheaper. I would suggest looking at St Pete Beach, Ft Myers Beach, Ft Lauderdale. If staying 7 nights, a condo usually works out better than a hotel esp on the gulf coast.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather & where to stay

Eliminate the 2 nights in Jacksonville and add them to Washington DC. As said above, much more to see in DC and all the museums are free admission. You could spend a whole day at the Natural History Museum - at least I could, maybe even two days.

It's way too far away to hazard a guess which area would be safe from any storms if you're coming in the hurricane season.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather & where to stay

Thanks for the info.

Was going to get the overnight sleeper train from Washington (that way I would have got 2 full days in Washington) but if you recommend more time there, I can easily add extra days on - thanks for the advice.

In regards to Jacksonville and Savannah, I wanted to break the train journey up a bit and maybe experience different parts of the USA (as I've never been before). Would you recommend either or would you suggest stopping off somewhere else?

Yeah, I know that it's too far away to predict hurricanes, I was just wondering if anywhere was 'safer' (but having done some researching around, I now realise they are completely unpredictable in terms of geography).

Would April/May be a good time to visit overall (i.e. for all the locations listed)? To be honest, as long as the last destination is in the sunshine and limited rain, I'll be happy!

Thanks again for your posts,

Gemma

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,796 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather & where to stay

Savannah is worth seeing as it old St augustine.

April can be hit or miss in NYC and DC either cold or even hot- but usually OK but there will be a chance of rain.. May is good.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather & where to stay

Totally agree about DC. If you're into history even a little you'll really enjoy it. And you can't beat the free museums.

I would go to Savannah, skip Jacksonvillle and go to The Tampa/St Petersburg area instead. The train does go to Tampa but not St. Petersburg or the beaches. But I'm almost certain there is a shuttle from the Tampa train station to the coastal cities.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather & where to stay

That's interesting - thanks.

Are you saying that Tampa/St Petersburg would be the 'beach' part of the holiday? If so, when is the best time to visit outside of hurricane season. I want it to be hot & not so much rain!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,796 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather & where to stay

Late april, may is lovely at the gulf beaches and it post peak season so prices drop.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather & where to stay

Brilliant - thanks.

9. Re: Weather & where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2013, 10:17